Advice On What Fish(S) I Should Purchase?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

GrahamBuck

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi, my male halfmoon betta fish recently passed away, and I was wondering what fish(s) I could put in my fish bowl next? The bowl holds about one gallon of water. I'm completely fine with just purchasing another betta fish, but I'd prefer to see any other options I might have. Thanks!

1 Gallon is not enough for anything, plus, Betta are tropical fish that require a heater to be happy.

Agreed. 1 Gallon is way too small and I'm guessing you have no filter or heater in there either :/ Which is probably why your betta passed away I'm afraid to say.

I usually recommend a 10 gallon minimum when keeping fish. Sorry about your betta, but like Paradise said, the bowl is probably the cause of death. Just remember: Bowls are for soup, not fish! :)

Maybe you could get a snail? Not 100% sure though. If you want another betta I would say get a minimum of a 2.5 gallon tank, my last betta lived in a 1 gallon bowl, then a 5 gallon tank and then a 2.5 gallon tank when he got older and started slowing down. He seemed a lot happier when he was in the the two larger tanks. Hope this helped
smile.png

welcomeani.gif
to TFF!

As has been said, 1g is not really suitable for anything.

Snails create waste and are sensitive to ammonia like fish so even that wouldn't do.

If you're still interested in keeping fish I'd get a 10g+ tank (you can get a 10g with hood & filter [you'd still need to pick up a heater] at walmart for ~29$)
The bigger your tank the better though, there are some great deals on craigslist if you feel like looking there.

If you decide on getting a tank please do read THIS to know how to make it safe for fish, and if you plan on another betta, you may want to read THIS. :)

I second the craigslist idea. Just recently got a like-new 125G tank with a complete set up for 500$. The two canister filters alone run around 280$ each new. Or if your LFS sells used tanks that people bring in. I see a ton of 10-30 gallon aquariums on CL for 10-50$. Just make sure they hold water before taking them home :D

Thanks for the help, guys! I suppose I'll upgrade to a five gallon tank, and buy another betta.
smile.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back