Advice On Cichlids

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

IMO its decision time, either go for Haps or Mbuna. Mixing the 2 is not easy and i don't think your tank shape suits this, don't get me wrong, its a great tank but Haps get really big and are better suited to a tank with more length.

Mixing Aulonocara with Mbuna is also not a good idea as they are much less aggressive than Mbuna and don't tend to cope too well with them because of this, belive me i've tried as they are wonderful fish but i've ended up returning all of them.

There are exceptions to this, If you stick to less aggressive Mbuna like yellow labs or Pseudotropheus Acei, you can add a few different Aulonocara and still have a settled tank. This however limits your choice of Mbuna to 4 or 5 species.

If you decide to go with all Mbuna, there are still loads of compatibility issues to think about. I would avoid Melanochromis Auratus as they are extremely aggressive, not a good beginner fish. The Maingano are a better choice, yellow labs are fine, Labeotropheus fuelleborni vary in temperament but IMO should be OK. Also check out Pseudotropheus Saulosi, Metriaclima Greshaki, Albino Pseudotropheus Socolofi, Metriaclima Estherae and Iodotropheus Sperengerae.

If you fancy some bottom feeders, check out the various Synodontis catfish species, Pim Pictus and Bristlenose Plecs, all of these tend to work well with Malawi's.

If you are interested in lake Tanganyikans, ask Mamafish! :p

Right essay finished, i'm going to rest now. :lol:

EDIT: All that and i still forgot something....avoid keeping multiple males of the same species if you can. If you are going to keep groups of the same genus, try and get something like a 1 male to 3 female ratio, this helps to keep the aggression down.

another question, can you keep different types of aulonocara together?

Hi Ken :D I agree with not getting the auratus. Aulonocaras will cross breed. Yellow labs are georgeous, red zebras, greshakis, crabros (like bumble bees) will give great colours, afras are nice too :D You've seen my fish, if there were any you liked just ask me, I'll be happy to answer :good:
Look forward to seeing pics :D

Hi Ken :D I agree with not getting the auratus. Aulonocaras will cross breed. Yellow labs are georgeous, red zebras, greshakis, crabros (like bumble bees) will give great colours, afras are nice too :D You've seen my fish, if there were any you liked just ask me, I'll be happy to answer :good:
hi can you tell me the one that i liked in your tank?, the one i pointed out? there are so many to choose from but its hard finding out what can go with what

Mixing Aulonocara is fine ken, one little tip though, go for males as they have the striking colours, females are generally a dull brown colour. This only apllies to Aulonocara though, with Mbuna, the males and females are usually equally colourful.

@mamafish - there you go again having a go at Crabro.....I think you must have been a neon tetra in a past life that got savaged by one - leave them alone!!! :p :lol:

hi can you tell me the one that i liked in your tank?, the one i pointed out? there are so many to choose from but its hard finding out what can go with what
Hi Ken, Was it the light orange one with the blue face and blotches? I'll sort some pics later and send them to you and you can point it out to me. :D Did the hoses arrive?

Hi Ken, Was it the light orange one with the blue face and blotches? I'll sort some pics later and send them to you and you can point it out to me. :D Did the hoses arrive?
hi yes i think that was the one, yes i recieved the hoses, thanks. what was the postage? if you can sort a picture out that would be great.

Mixing Aulonocara is fine ken, one little tip though, go for males as they have the striking colours, females are generally a dull brown colour. This only apllies to Aulonocara though, with Mbuna, the males and females are usually equally colourful.

@mamafish - there you go again having a go at Crabro.....I think you must have been a neon tetra in a past life that got savaged by one - leave them alone!!! :p :lol:
hi if i get all male aulonocara what females can i have with them? thanks

hi heres a picture of the tank so you have a better idea. its not set up yet, im getting the rocks tommoro. how many cichlids can i have in there?
tank.jpg

hi if i get all male aulonocara what females can i have with them? thanks

You can have female Aulonocara, its just they are a bit dull IMO. Mixing female Mbuna with Aulonocara is also fine.

heres a pic of my set up. i still need to know how many cichlids i can have in there, can someone please advise me. so far i have got 3 yellow labs and 3 blue zebras
nt.jpg

Am I missing something here, if so I'm sure someone will put me straight. On 4th June there were no rocks and it looked like no water to me in that pic. Then suddenly there are fish!!! Is this tank cycled??

Am I missing something here, if so I'm sure someone will put me straight. On 4th June there were no rocks and it looked like no water to me in that pic. Then suddenly there are fish!!! Is this tank cycled??
yes there was water in the tank and the eheim filter had the water out of the tank before hand. plus i used the water out of my old tank. so it is cycled and i have tested it and its spot on.

Most reactions

Back