Advice Needed.

Roswellcrash

New Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2009
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Points
0
10G tank, been established about 23 weeks, plenty of well established plant life & a nice carpet Java moss, sand based going to ad gravel to areas though.

Already got one 1 year old Red Betta - Male at 2". (would like this to remain in the new tank if compatible with fish wanted)
& 7 Male guppies, All from my main tank which I will be moving back to once I start getting the new fish listed below.

---------------------------------------
I would like:

2x Bumblebee Goby (1 female 1 male?) SIZE - They max out at 2 to 3 centimetres

2x Scarlet badis (dario dario) (1 female 1 male?) SIZE - They max out at 1 to 2 centimetres

1x Mini Moth Catfish SIZE - They max out at 1 to 2 Inches

1x small freshwater clam, then i'd like to fill the rest up with Shrimp but how many?

---------------------------------------

I have a family member who has around 9 tiger shrimp, he would like me to take..

I would like to know if this combination will work well?

If you can give me advise, and different scenarios. as you can see I want something a little different
I would very much appreciate any advice at all, as I have been waiting a long time now to get some fish in here.

One of the main reasons for this post also is for suggestions as to where I can get these fish, I am in the UK, Kent.

Thanks for your time.

Updated a few mistakes lol, thanks to bronzecat for spotting.
 
Hi

Whilst I am unsure of the compatibility of some of these species, what i can say is that with a male betta and 17 guppies you are already well overstocked.

In a 10G tank you're looking at 10 inches of adult fish. I would either keep the betta and maybe try the shrimps, although bettas can sometimes take offence to them, but get the guppies out.

Or

Remove all but 4 guppies and leave it at that.

You really haven't got any spare room in there i'm afraid:(

Oh, forgot to ask, the male betta - you mean 2 inches dont you?

Just an afterthought, be careful and keep a close eye on the betta with the guppies. Problems can arise very quickly
 
Ok, thanks both of you for your help, firstly after reading bronzecat's post I noticed the two mistakes, "2" male" not 2cm, & only 7 guppies that where moved from my main tank just to help stabilise my system which I do not plan to keep in this tank.

I have updated with the d puffer, as I have been reading up on these fish I started to notice a lot of people saying they are not good community fish.

But the fish I have revised now, and left in bold I would like to add, + some shrimp.

I am happy with the choice of fish now (In bold), but would like the know still about eh shrimp, of which would not be at threat from my selected fish, but I would like to know how many shrimp if you think any at all.

main question now is where can I try to get these fish from, I live in Kent, England like I said & would like to know if anyone has advise of any dealers where I can get/ request these fish, or even on on-line store that can deliver.

Thanks again to bronzecat & truckasauras123 for your help.
 
Hi again

I know that Badis are nice and peaceful community fish :good: I think the issue may be, will your betta like them? Unfortunately no one can answer that though:(

With regards to the Gobies, ensure you get the species Brachygobius xanthozona as these are better able to tollerate fresh water. The other Brachygobius nunus is not fresh water tollerant and prefers brackish water. The other issue with these gobies is that they are highly territorial, which in a 10g tank may be of issue. Gobies have been known to nip fins, so your betta and Badis (if you go for them) may be a target.

Personally, I wouldn't put anything bar an oto or 2 in with the betta, but if you do add anything try the badis 1st and be ready to remove if the betta takes offence.
 
Thanks very much, that's very helpful.

I think I read about the Brachygobius xanthozona, that they are more hardy, as for the Betta looks like I may be putting him back in the main tank, they are one of my fav fish and I was hoping to have one in each, but if he plays up he'll go back to the main tank.


my original idea was the Betta, some small fish and the shrimps, but there are so many nice fish like the Goby's and DP's, shame they can't just all get along ;p
 
Freshwater clams tend to do very poorly in aquariums. They're filter feeders and there is not much to filter in a small tank (or even a large one). They can pretty quickly consume all the microfauna in the tank, then slowly starve.
 
For £2, its worth trying at least I get a shell lol, can I ask you know of any type of feed you can add for them?

Thanks for the information much appreciated.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top