Advice Needed: Tank Refit

petertr

Fish Addict
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
756
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Peterlee, Co. Durham, England
Hoping someone can advise me on this - Seems to be a couple of ways to do it, but hoping someone can give me a way to do it that will cause the least possible stress for the fish

I have a Rio 300 tank, and I want to remove the standard fit filter as I'm buying a Fluval 405 external.


1 - Removing the box filter. I assume this is stuck on with silicon? How should I go about getting it out without damaging the tank?

2 - Im going to have to take my fish out for a few hours. What is the best way to store them - I'd planned to use 2 or 3 buckets. Should I underfeed for a few days before I do this? Any other tips people have - I really don't want to hurt my fish


Any other tips in general are welcome :-)
 
1.yes 8 big blobs. A long sharp knife (i used an old bread knife) does the trick

2. buckets will be fine for a few hours if this is to remove the filter you can do with the water in the tank just be careful

If your using the internal and its mature run the external along with it for 7-8 weeks so it seeds then remove the internal done this on my rio 125 and 180 and it works out fine

I have just setup my rio 300 transfered everthing over inc the 2 media trays from my ehiem 2026 filter over to a Pro 2 2028. First job i did with my rio 300 is remove the internal (nothing wrong with juwel internals i just find a external easier to deal with)

only problem i had was due to a duff heater what knocked the oxygen out the water
 
cant see what difference it would make whether you cut down on feeding or not? what effect do you think it may have :) if they are only out of the tank for a while.....?
 
Dont take the Juwel filter out untill the Fluval is cloned and cycled, run them both togther for about 3 weeks then you can remove the Juwel filter.
 
Dont take the Juwel filter out untill the Fluval is cloned and cycled, run them both togther for about 3 weeks then you can remove the Juwel filter.

Yeh,

I have a bag of ceramic chips in the large box filter which Ill be putting into the external filter, and Ill also leave the Fluval 4 internal running for a good month or so.
 
run the filters side be side as long as poss imho 7-8 week gives the new one enuff time to cycle up and get a good amount of bacteria growing

dont feed the fish for atleast 24 hours less poop and old food to mess the water up when moving things about
 
run the filters side be side as long as poss imho 7-8 week gives the new one enuff time to cycle up and get a good amount of bacteria growing

dont feed the fish for atleast 24 hours less poop and old food to mess the water up when moving things about
That's what I was thinking- thanks.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top