Advice needed about guppies

Jaypee

Reaction score
I've got 2 female guppies that i think are both pregnant, i believe its coming up for 3 - 3 1/2 weeks, the black spot at the back of their bellies is pretty big now and both have very rounded bellies now, i have taken them both out of the main tank and have them in a floating 2 in 1 fish hatchery.
I don't know exactly when they are due to give birth so would like to know if i should or shouldn't have tanken them out of the main tank, and if this was ok how long can they stay in the floating hatchery.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou.

I personally don't like breeder boxes. They stress the fish which can cause premature birth, reabsorbing of the fry or even death. But if there aren't many plants in the main tank than I guess they are the best thing to do. Guppies usually give birth every 28 to32 days. Raising the temperature of the tank to 78 or 80 can make the time until birth lower a little bit.

Put them back in the main tank after they're done birthing (if they do). Place them in the breeder three weeks after they birth, to reduce the risk of a miscarriage due to stress. Try getting another tank because you'll need it for all the fry.

I left them in hatchery last night but by this morning nothing had happened, so i have put them back in main tank.
They now seem to have a form of crooked line running from there're black spot towards the front of the belly, its not very long. But they both seems very active still.

thats a lot of stress for little fish you should really if at all place them in from aboyt day 26 really but if you tank is planted well enough youll keep all the fry ne ways

Ty, they're still both swimming about happilly, obviously not ready to have their fry yet, i'm still keeping fingers crossed, and hopefully they'll think about giving birth soon.
Ty for all your advice and help.

make sure ur tank has lots of plants so when she does have her fry they can hide, my guppy took me by surprise and had 60, luckily they had loads of places to hide, but i only have about 4 which live under the rock.
I also agree breeder boxes are cruel and it stresses them out too quickly, i just let nature take its course and let nature decide................... :D

Would you believe we went to shops today to buy some more plants and rocks for the fry to hide amongst. And when we got back and were looking at the tank we saw 7 fry in our exisisting plants, we had also bought a net breeder while out, and have managed so far to catch 5 fry and moved them to the breeder.
What i'd like to know is whether it is still advisable to do a water change or should i now wait till both guppies have finished birthing. I only have 1 tank so can't move the fish at all.
Also how long roughly does the female take to birth her fry, is it all pretty quick or is it over several hours or even days??
Once again ty for the advice already given by everyone.

Jaypee said:
Also how long roughly does the female take to birth her fry, is it all pretty quick or is it over several hours or even days??
3 to 8 hours is normal.
But sometimes it could take a few days.

My guppy took a week in total to give birth to all her babies. Good luck with your exsisting babies. my 4 baby guppies are getting bigger by the day.
8)

Most reactions

Back