Advice For Keeping Cat Off Fish Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mbeer21

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I got a new housemate a few months a go and she has a cat.  In just the last few weeks the cat has discovered my fish tank and just won't leave it alone.  As soon as he is in the room he jumps on top of it and just sits and stares at the fish.
I'm not worried about him getting the fish, as the tank has a lid and he just isn't that clever, but I am worried he'll break the tank.  The lid is only glass, and when he jumps off the whole tank shakes from his weight - can't be good for the structure, surely.  Everyone in the house will get him off as soon as they see him up there and tell him 'no' sharply, but it doesn't bother him.  
I keep the door shut as often as possible but he still manages to sneak in there sometimes as we do use that room often.  Plus, I don't like not being able to see my fish whenever I walk past the room - I'd prefer to keep the door open if I can.
Is there any way I can deter him from jumping on the tank?  Any advice?

There is a thing called SSSSCAT, it's a bottle that'll detect if a movement is there and spray air to the cat's face.
 http://www.amazon.com/Ssscat-PDT00-13914-SSSCAT-Cat-Training/dp/B000RIA95G

You can also put a few traps around until it knows it shouldn't be there.
The problem I have with my cats is with my plants..
They will want to destroy them.
What I did to solve this is put an alluminium foil around, cat jumps on it, is scared by the noise and feel under it's paws, goes away.
Lesson learned! They don't go there anymore :)
You could always try this.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You could try spraying him with water every time you see him on the tank, he won't like it & should stay off after a few goes

A spray bottle of water or a water gun should work for teaching the cat to stay off the tank, you can also get scat mats that people put on their kitchen counters to deter cats. It has an electric shock in it.
You could also try placing something near the tank that the cat will enjoy sitting on to watch the fish, in the hope that it will sit there rather than on top of the tank.

My cat sits on the tank too, it worried me to begin with but it's a big tank and he just likes the warmth. It's never caused a problem so I let him sit there now, but if it concerns you perhaps you could put something on top of the tank that stops kitty...I used to put a couple of v lightweight wooden dishes on there with dried leaves and fir cones in them. It stopped him, but if yours is a glass top it may wreck the look of yr tank? I do clean the top of the tank a lot tho coz I don't like the idea of fur/hairs getting in the water.

Put aluminium foil on it or upside down sticky tape, cats very much dislike either and it usually takes one jump for them to decide nope not going there

OR you could do what i did lol left the lids off for a day, can i say cats really hate water lol, They have never got back on since.....

Alasse said:
Put aluminium foil on it or upside down sticky tape, cats very much dislike either and it usually takes one jump for them to decide nope not going there

OR you could do what i did lol left the lids off for a day, can i say cats really hate water lol, They have never got back on since.....
LOL! I'll try this with my cat.
I hate when they drink from the HOB filter.

Only two of my tanks have lids all the rest are open topped and my little white boy Shiya would hate it if I prevented him from doing his daily water taste tests. He really is addicted to fish water and is quite partial to fish food too.
He also often dangles his paws in the water while having a leisurely drink and has his tail floating on the water surface too. The guppies don't seem to mind the intrusion, in fact they think his paws are food, along with his tail and I have even seen them trying to eat his tongue.

And yes I have mad pets
blush.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back