Adding Store Bought Rocks.

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
4,815
Reaction score
14
Points
38
Location
US
I have done searches, but I would just like some clarification.

I just bought two rocks about 4 days ago now; they are pretty big, and after a couple days I have noticed that the water is slightly hazy?

Is this most likely the cause of the rocks?

And pretty much the only way to remove the haze is through multiple water changes?

Yes I did boil them and washed them prior to adding them to the tank.

Thanks in advance!
-FHM
 
Hazy as in dirty hazey or white hazy? I went rummaging our local river for rocks and didnt have a hazey problem. I get the odd dirty water look when first added or dust cloud off them when i pour my water changes directly onto them but they dont cause any real harm or dirty the water too much.
 
It is like a very fine white haze. (Not that noticeable)

Thanks for the response!
-FHM
 
It is like a very fine white haze. (Not that noticeable)

Thanks for the response!
-FHM

check if they are leeching, some rocks do this and are not suitable for aquariums. Take the stone out and let it dry, then put vinegar on it, just a little, if the vinegar bubbles then it is not suitable.
 
Did you give them a good scrub under hot running water before putting them in? Could be just mud & dust clouding the water. If its that it should clear in a few days.
 
I have done searches, but I would just like some clarification.

I just bought two rocks about 4 days ago now; they are pretty big, and after a couple days I have noticed that the water is slightly hazy?

Is this most likely the cause of the rocks?

And pretty much the only way to remove the haze is through multiple water changes?

Yes I did boil them and washed them prior to adding them to the tank.
Thanks in advance!
-FHM

Yes I did boil, wash and scrubbed them.

It is like a very fine white haze. (Not that noticeable)

Thanks for the response!
-FHM

check if they are leeching, some rocks do this and are not suitable for aquariums. Take the stone out and let it dry, then put vinegar on it, just a little, if the vinegar bubbles then it is not suitable.

Would that turn the water hazy?

-FHM
 
yes. if its leeching calcium or limestone for example.
 
I just found out that it is petrified wood.

What do you guys think about petrifed wood?

Thanks
-FHM
 
yes. if its leeching calcium or limestone for example.
I did the vinegar test, and no fizzing?

Any more ideas?

I added about 10 plants about 3 weeks ago as well, could that make the water hazy as well?

Thanks
-FHM
 
Sounds like a bacteria bloom then which will turn the water a milky colour. Have you tested your water stats? If they are ok it should clear in a few days.
 
Sounds like a bacteria bloom then which will turn the water a milky colour. Have you tested your water stats? If they are ok it should clear in a few days.
This tank has been established for over 3 months now, and the water parameters are all good.

EDIT: I did have a nitrite spike this last week for a couple of days, so that is what of happened, a bacteria bloom.

-FHM
 

Most reactions

Back
Top