Adding Mature Media

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

lee_essex

Reaction score
Does adding it just speed up the the time the ammoina will drop to 1ppm for the first time ?

Ta

It rally depends on how much you add. For fishless cycling in generally just speeds up the process. But if the tank is small enough and you don't need it to hold a complete bioload right off the bat. Then mature media can instantly cycling a tank for a couple of fishes. Doing this is called cloning a tank, its what I prefer to do. For example I can add 6 rummy-nosed tetras to my uncycled quarantine tank add enough mature media to the tank and you can skip the whole cycling process completely.

My tank is 106L, how can i tell if its done it pretty instant, what readings am i looking for?

Thanks

If enough mature media is present, the filter will drop 4ppm of ammonia to 0 ammonia and nitrites in 24 hours :good:

If you add fish, readings need to be a constant 0 all round for the first week before adding to the stocking. If the readings are not zero, you are fish-in cycling and may need twice daily waterchanges :good:

All the best
Rabbut

as rabbut said, you add the media then continue to fishless cycle. depedning how much media you've added you may find the ammonia drops immediatley you may find it takes a few days to start dropping down, however it'll definatley be quicker than fishless cycling. once the ammonia and nitrite are dropping to 0 in 12 hrs you continue to add 5ppm of ammonia daily for a week to ensure that levels are stable. if they have remained constant for the week then do a 90% water change and add your fish. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back