Adding Filter From Established Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fishkeeper2004

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Ok, I have been cycling my 180L for the past 4 days, with no fish. Today I added a filter from a disease-free tank, to help get the bacteria levels up etc, and to speed up the cycle.

Just to clarify, when doing this how much quicker will the tank cycle? I have read it will speed up the cycle but it never says how much by, is it pretty quick (within 2-3 days) or will it still tank a good week? :)

Have you added just the media to the filter in the tank you wish to cycle or the whole filter? If you have placed in the whole filter then it will not speed it up that much as when you remove that filter the bacteria will not have all passed onto the new media.

So would there be anyway to speed up the process from adding the filter, or part of the filter to a new tank? The local LFS said to add the whole filter after five days.

I have never done anything like this with my other tanks, but he said for larger tanks like mine it would help speed up the process.

I'd think if you added a whole filter (with media) that had been in an established tank for a long time, then you could add fish immediately. But not if you're then going to take that filter out again. What's on you other tank now??

I'd think if you added a whole filter (with media) that had been in an established tank for a long time, then you could add fish immediately. But not if you're then going to take that filter out again. What's on you other tank now??

I moved all the fish out of the tank where I removed the filter into my other community tank (90 litres) temporarily as a holding tank until I find out the details. I have added the whole filter, so that should mean I can immediately add the community fish from the old tank? :)

Finally, how long will it take from then onwards, for the other filter (Fluval 4+) to get the necassary bacteria to run on its own, as I was told by West Bridgeford Garden & Aquatic Centre to remove it eventually.

Bump, I have conflicting advice, can I instantly add the fish, or should I still leave the tank to continue cycling with both filters for a while?

OK I'm confused!

So do you have 2 tanks and 2 filters? I you have temporarily moved fish to the new tank you can add the filter from your established tank and they should be fine straight away but if you remove the established filter and leave fish in there then there will be no new bacteria on the new filter for a little while yet.

Hope this helps

I have added the filter from the established tank into the new one, it has been in there for around 4 hours now. So I would now be safe to slowly introduce the community fish into the new tank right away? :)

As long as the filter that you have put into the new tank is definately matured then you should be fine, as it will have enough bacteria to break down the waste for the amount of fish you had in the tank with that filter!

As long as the filter that you have put into the new tank is definately matured then you should be fine, as it will have enough bacteria to break down the waste for the amount of fish you had in the tank with that filter!

Ok great, so for future reference aswell, when replacing a fish tank I can just add the old filter into the new tank and the bacteria will make it a suitable environment for fish immediately?

Yes you can. I upgraded three 20 gallons to 29's a few weeks back. Fish in one bucket, media in another. Drain the old tank, pull it & put in the new tank. Fill the new tank, add the fish, filters, & heater. No problem.

You can have two of the same filter cycled & running on a tank with fish. If that tank has 10 fish, you can take 5 fish, & one of the filters, & put them in a suitable sized tank. There is no cycling to deal with. I do this on a regular basis, keep spare filters running on many tanks.

Tolak

Yes you can. I upgraded three 20 gallons to 29's a few weeks back. Fish in one bucket, media in another. Drain the old tank, pull it & put in the new tank. Fill the new tank, add the fish, filters, & heater. No problem.

You can have two of the same filter cycled & running on a tank with fish. If that tank has 10 fish, you can take 5 fish, & one of the filters, & put them in a suitable sized tank. There is no cycling to deal with. I do this on a regular basis, keep spare filters running on many tanks.

Tolak

Now I know this is fact, not myth I will have spare running filters all the time now. To be safe, how long should I leave the filter (from old tank) running in the new tank for roughly? Also, it needed to be cleaned, if I did and then added it again would all the good bacteria be gone or would it still be ok?

Why dont you put the spare filter from the old tank into the new tank (and leave it there for good) and your new filter into your old tank, which will build up bacteria and ultimately become a spare in the future?

Or if you put half the media from the filter in the old tank into the new filter, and top up both filters with half of the new media, then both will be able to cope with half the number of fish you had in the old tank immediately, although the old tank has bacteria on all the surfaces too - ie gravel, ornaments etc.

I am selling the other tank, and the old filter is far too weak to power a 180L it is only designed for 70L tanks. I will remove it in about 1-2 weeks if everyone else thinks this will be OK? :)

Why dont you put all the media from filter into the new filter and just leave it in there,topping up with new media . Thats what I would do !

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back