Adding Community Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Nice tank and you must be more patient then me as I would densely plant at least the background and get some swaying plants going on, but it will look awesome in time no doubt. If your more fish biased I would put some nice schools in there, obvious some bottom feeders, I prefer Corey's tho plecs are cool but don't do a lot. It's a huge space if filters are good so gangs of tetras is OK although I do love my barbs who are always busy looking for trouble ,,, in my eyes,, and little bully boys ! I love my green barbs and a bigger amount would look great for me.
Thanks man. I actually had a densely planted tank, but wanted to try a minimalist tank and now I'm going back to a densely planted tank lol. I can't make up my mind. It'll look better once my plants grow in. I had a community and semi-aggressive tank and I like both types. My dream is to have a betta tank, community tank, and a semi-aggressive tank! I also love them tiger barbs. So yeah, I guess it'll come down to whether I want to risk putting rasboras or tetras in my tank. We'll see. Right now I can't even go and buy fish due to Covid-19. Ugh.

It's crazy because I saw a video of a 40 gallon tank with several female bettas, school of neon tetras, denison barbs, rasboras, etc. What gives! I want that tank! Is the male betta the x-factor?
I have always kept my male betta in their own tank, not only does this avoid fish fights but even if the betta sits in its corner of the tank and does nothing the betta will become stressed every time another fish swims into it's territory. Betta have a type A personality, They are raise originally to be fighting fish. That is why they are called Siamese fighting fish. They are high strung and the stress will affect their health over the long term.

Yes it's crap mate, I work but everything is hard work, even getting my medication. Everything is shut down but hoping to get shrimps tomo for cheesy tank. I commend your patience , but your setup will be awesome in time tho I would still get some foliage at the back n still leave your work up front in progress. I'm jealous of such a huge tank but our rooms are just big enuf for sofa tv etc n there is no scope unless I retire n convert my garage lol. Keep us updated with pics and stay healthy, all the best.

Mr Viking is expert here so I go with his opinion in sorry, it's not a communal fish.

I have always kept my male betta in their own tank, not only does this avoid fish fights but even if the betta sits in its corner of the tank and does nothing the betta will become stressed every time another fish swims into it's territory. Betta have a type A personality, They are raise originally to be fighting fish. That is why they are called Siamese fighting fish. They are high strung and the stress will affect their health over the long term.
Interesting. I knew they were bred for fighting. I might have to put him in his own tank, but he seems fine with the four other females...he'll chase, but nothing too crazy.

Yes most bettas are very aggressive because they were selectively bred to be more aggressive for fighting. Although wild caught bettas are less aggressive because they have not been selectively bred.

Google betta fights videos, I like Betta, beautiful fish, just wish they would get along with their own kind and other fish. It would be great to see a school of them swimming together. Do you have soft water? most tetras are soft water fish.

Google betta fights videos, I like Bette, beautiful fish, just wish they would get along with their own kind and other fish. It would be great to see a school of them swimming together. Do you have soft water? most tetras are soft water fish.
It would be amazing to a have a big betta tank with lots of them! I can only wish... there are some non aggressive species of betta but they arent as colorful

Interesting. I knew they were bred for fighting. I might have to put him in his own tank, but he seems fine with the four other females...he'll chase, but nothing too crazy.
You never know until you try.

You do have a good start on your tank , if your are thinking of ember and other tetra your should make sure there are plenty of plants for them to hide in. Most tetras come from the jungle streams of South America and like shade so floating plants work well for them. I have several Ferns like Java Ferns and floating plants like Anacharis, water sprite and hornwort which is also good for fry to hide in. Good luck :thumbs:

You do have a good start on your tank , if your are thinking of ember and other tetra your should make sure there are plenty of plants for them to hide in. Most tetras come from the jungle streams of South America and like shade so floating plants work well for them. I have several Ferns like Java Ferns and floating plants like Anacharis, water sprite and hornwort which is also good for fry to hide in. Good luck :thumbs:
Yes I think if it were to work you would need a very heavily planted

Not everything you see on the internet is true, or reliable, or accurate. If you know the individual behind the site/data by which I mean you know their level of training/education in ichthyology, then what they say might be OK.

Male bettas are not community fish. This is a two-way street. The Betta often takes a dislike to other fish, some species more than others (bright colouration frequently sets them off). But when a sedate long-fin betta is in a tank of small shoaling fish (like any of the tetras for one example) the small fish are often seen to become aggressive and nip the betta's fins. And, even if there is no actual physical evidence of either issue, the fish themselves are still releasing chemical signals (pheromones and allomones) and proclaiming their thoughts and feelings, and this is stressful to the targeted fish even without physical follow-up. To be truthfully blunt, it is cruel and inhumane to place any fish in with a male Betta.

And for anyone who will say they have had success doing this...there is no way you can possibley know that. Unless you have the physiology of a fish in order to be able to experience things as a fish you have no idea what is occurring--other than by accepting the evidence of nature. Expecting any fish to behave contrary to the norm for that species just because you want to experiment is not humane fishkeeping. We research to learn what a fish species requires, and then we provide as close as possible to that; only then can be assume the fish is "OK," but not otherwise.

Thank you everyone for your input. Based on what I've read from everyone I will forgo putting community fish in my tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back