Adding a rock to freshwater tank.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

BJBart

Reaction score
I have a nice rock that after a week has not increased or decreased my ph. It also passes the nitrate bottle 1 test producing no bubbles. Pblm is it has some roadtar residue on it. Will that harm my fizh? I have tetras.

I have a nice rock that after a week has not increased or decreased my ph. It also passes the nitrate bottle 1 test producing no bubbles. Pblm is it has some roadtar residue on it. Will that harm my fizh? I have tetras.
Not sure what you mean about the nitrate testā€¦ ? Itā€™s good that it hadnā€™t affected the PH, but if it has residue on it I would strongly reccomend against putting it into your tank. Better to be safe than sorry

Not sure what you mean about the nitrate testā€¦ ? Itā€™s good that it hadnā€™t affected the PH, but if it has residue on it I would strongly reccomend against putting it into your tank. Better to be safe than sorry
If itā€™s just a bit I bet you could chisel it off..

A picture would be helpful. When in doubt, donā€™t add random rocks to your tank, itā€™s just not safe.

Especially with rocks, theres plenty of others you could find and use that would be safer at least if thatā€™s what you wanted to do
I usually recommend people buy rocks that are in the hobby, that have been stress tested and are safe for aquariums. Collecting ā€œwildā€ rocks may be much more cheap, but it will cost you in the long run.

I usually recommend people buy rocks that are in the hobby, that have been stress tested and are safe for aquariums. Collecting ā€œwildā€ rocks may be much more cheap, but it will cost you in the long run.
Agreed. Personally I think of all the things you could invest in for this hobby, rocks arenā€™t going to be the priciest thing out there generally and in the long run, you just want to keep the fish safe :)

Agreed. Personally I think of all the things you could invest in for this hobby, rocks arenā€™t going to be the priciest thing out there generally and in the long run, you just want to keep the fish safe :)
Hehe, maybe for freshwater. For saltwater on the other hand? I spent over $80 on dry rocks, and about $20 on live rocks. šŸ˜¬

I read that if you put a drop of Nitrate solution bottle 1 on your rock and it bubbles it is not safe in a tank. You can use it or vinegar.

I read that if you put a drop of Nitrate solution bottle 1 on your rock and it bubbles it is not safe in a tank. You can use it or vinegar.
Thatā€™s not true. The vinegar part is, but the nitrate bottle is a total hoax.

API nitrate bottle #1 contains 14% hydrochloric acid. Look at the safety data sheet on API's website.

Acids react react with carbonate in the presence of water, releasing carbon dioxide. Any acid will do this - acetic acid (vinegar), hydrochloric acid (API nitrate #1) etc.

Edit to add - I have just put some dry bicarbonate of soda powder (baking soda), which is sodium hydrogen carbonate, into a small pot and added 1 drop of API nitrate bottle #1. It fizzed. A lot.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back