Add A Betta?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BelldandyShanny

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello everyone, my current stocking is this 55 Gallon: 8 Neons, 6 Cherry barbs, 2 SAE, 6 Kuhli loaches, 2 blue rams, 2 kribs, 1 bn bleco, 1 pearl gourami

would I be able to add a betta to the mix?

(I do plan on adding in some guppies once I can order the special ones I want!)

I would not. The neon tetras will stress them with their bright colors and fast movements. As well as the guppies are a no with bettas. The betta might attack them because of the long fins.

I wouldn't add a Betta, he'd be an easy target for the kribs or rams, & as a general rule Bettas don't usually get along with gourami

I have kept betta and pearl gourami together pretty successfully. The betta attempted to bully the gourami once, who chased him down but didn't actually rip into him, mine was pretty peaceful but I don't know if that's the norm. I've also kept betta with Endler's which have pretty flashy males and they've done fine. HOWEVER my concern would be with the rams and kribs. I've kept betta and rams together on two different occasions. The first time was fine, everyone got along. That betta died off old age, I got a new one, and his fins were ripped to shreds the same day I put him in the tank.

Also unless you end up with a very docile betta, I wouldn't risk putting him with guppies either.

yeah I'm not going to...I had a female betta once and it ate some of my guppies, but specifically red ones

My bettas never hurt my Neons or guppies, they just ignored each other, but I'd say it would depend on the individual Betta. I had luck...all four of mine were pretty peaceful and lived for a long time before dying of old age or being rehomed. The only time they didn't like it was back when I had two Bettas and one was old and very peaceful, so I put them together. It was really funny. The younger betta chased the older one around, and the older betta just let himself be chased. I ended up separating them again.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back