[Ada 60P] - Justin's Ada 60P Planted Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Definitely going to have to keep an eye on this. I'm looking to be impressed ;)

Shelster said:
Would you mind sharing where you purchased that fantastic piece of wood, and at what cost?
smile.png

blackops said:
Would you mind sharing where you purchased that fantastic piece of wood, and at what cost?
smile.png
I would like to know this 2

I got it off eBay, there is lots for sale on there these days.

Joshwainwright said:
Definitely going to have to keep an eye on this. I'm looking to be impressed
wink.png

Hopefully I can do just that ;)  I want to get the plant selection correct, also considering doing a DSM (dry start method) so I can attach the moss better and more natural looking.

Update: The start (31/05/13)

Today was the big day, I got my moss from TGM and started the dry start method.

This is my first ever attempt at attaching mosses using the 'blender' method. Here's what I did...

1. Put the moss into a plastic jug. Here I am using Fissidens fontanus. 

2. Add a blob of greek yoghurt (5ml) to about 100ml of RO water and mix.

3. Add the yoghurt solution to the plastic jug.

4. I used a hand-held blender to chop up the Fissidens.

5. The result is a green liquid containing millions of tiny pieces of moss.

I then used the paint brush to apply the mixture to the pre-soaked root wood.

Under the tank I have a 30w heat mat which will keep the temperature inside the tank at a constant 22c and the humidity up. The tank has 3cm of water in and is covered with a glass lid and then sealed with clingfilm.

The photoperiod has been set to 12hrs and I will leave the tank covered for the first week then I will make a small air gap can encourage some gas exchange. This whole process will take 3 weeks to complete, then I can add all the additives, substrate, plants and fill it with water.

Awesome cant wait to see the outcome of this. Very clever:)

Update: Up and Running Finally

So after a long time of planning and waiting for the DSM to finish it was time to get the substrate in and get my hands dirty! Only 2 things went wrong today, 1 being TGM missed out one of the plants I ordered but after speaking to James they will be sending it out monday morning for me so no biggy. And 2 I couldn't use my Co2 regulator because after reading the manual is clearly said "not to be used with a solenoid" which I had added, now most equipment I don't mind bending the rules slightly but Pressurized Co2 ? NO THANK YOU! So I have ordered a much better regulator which will be here tomorrow (hopefully) for the mean time I am running a small Co2 system which was for back ups, good thing I had it on stand by.

So here's a few photos of what I have done today.

Last few Items arrived today

Plants waiting to be prepared

Tank cleaned and waiting to be filled

ADA Yamaya rocks added as a divide for the sand and soil

First layer of Substrate added ADA Power Sand

Second Layer, is ADA Powders (ADA Penac W, ADA Penac P, ADA Bacter 100, ADA Tourmaline BC, ADA Clear Super)

Sand added (ADA La Plata Sand)

Redmoor Root Wood added

Third + forth layer of substrate then added ADA Amazonia + ADA powder

The tank is then soaked and filled with about 3cm of water, I then started by adding the Anubias Nana (which I forgot to add before placing the redmoor root wood in woops)

Then the background plants (Rotala sp green, Limnophila hippuridoides, Cyperus helferi)

I then planted the rest of the plants (Eleocharis sp. 'mini, Staurogyne repens)

And here's how it looks all planted up and running. (still a little cloudy)

Looks awesome mate. Really smart and very tidy. I'm looking into a Ada tank myself.

Update: Tank growing in well!

The plants are growing very well! and I am so pleased with its progress so far. I am considering getting a pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides Double Red but have not decided yet.

here's my first video of the tank. Hope you enjoy!

(watch in HD 1080p, and give it a thumbs up if you like it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj9JPrU8Eec

That tank is incredible looking.  The method you used for the moss, is greek yogurt better than regular yogurt?  I assume something to do with the enzymes and the moss feeds off of it?  The execution I have seen on this forum on different tanks blows me away.  SO many things that can be done hard to pick something and stay with it.

The tank looks stunning!
Great idea for the moss!
That Redmoor root was a great find!

Whats the stocking?

omg I am obsessed with your tank... it is people like you that make me want to do a planted tank! now would you mind coming to new York and helping me lol im in waaaay over my head!

Jbram said:
That tank is incredible looking.  The method you used for the moss, is greek yogurt better than regular yogurt?  I assume something to do with the enzymes and the moss feeds off of it?  The execution I have seen on this forum on different tanks blows me away.  SO many things that can be done hard to pick something and stay with it.

Thanks, the yogurt helps to keep mold away during the dry start method not sure if it helps feed the moss too. 
Blondielovesfish said:
The tank looks stunning!
Great idea for the moss!
That Redmoor root was a great find!

Whats the stocking?

• 10x Boraras Brigattae 
 • 2x Clown Killifish (male/female)
 • 2x Cotydoras Julii 
 • 2x Otocinclus 
 • 4x Amano Shrimp 
 • 2x Assassin Snail
MrsEspoNYC7 said:
omg I am obsessed with your tank... it is people like you that make me want to do a planted tank! now would you mind coming to new York and helping me lol im in waaaay over my head!

Thank you! really appreciate it :)  I am in the process of setting up another planted tank soon, more of a rock scape this time though.  If you pay for my flight I will be more than willing to help you hehe 
Here's some pictures of the tank and some fish

FTS

Few more

one word, stunning!!! Love the way you did the moss. One question, can you do the same trick under water or do you have  to add it via fishing line or something like that? Id rather not use anything to attach it if I don't have to.

BriansAquarium said:
one word, stunning!!! Love the way you did the moss. One question, can you do the same trick under water or do you have  to add it via fishing line or something like that? Id rather not use anything to attach it if I don't have to.
Thanks, the most common method is to use string which is done submerged but for me it takes a ling time for it to look natural doing it this way, the beauty of a DSM is that after 3 weeks the moss it fully attached a looks so natural right away, I will always use this method with mosses from now on.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back