Acf And Convicts?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PRW1988

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Well, I have had a tank with 2 African Clawed Frogs and 3 Yellow bellied turtles for about a year and a half now, I knew the risks of the frogs getting eaten or dying of water quality issues and lord and behold... 1 of my frogs died today :( The filter tube had become knocked lose some how and the canister I have running on it stopped filtering... Problem solved, tank cleaned and rescaped.

So I now have 1 clawed frog left and I was wondering if it'd live in a 20gallon tall with 2 convict cichlids. Unfortunatly these are a breeding pair so I don't really know how safe my ACF would be with them, opposed to turtles.

Well, I have had a tank with 2 African Clawed Frogs and 3 Yellow bellied turtles for about a year and a half now, I knew the risks of the frogs getting eaten or dying of water quality issues and lord and behold... 1 of my frogs died today :( The filter tube had become knocked lose some how and the canister I have running on it stopped filtering... Problem solved, tank cleaned and rescaped.

So I now have 1 clawed frog left and I was wondering if it'd live in a 20gallon tall with 2 convict cichlids. Unfortunatly these are a breeding pair so I don't really know how safe my ACF would be with them, opposed to turtles.

I am sorry, but I have to say absolutely not! You really should just get that surviving ACF a ten gallon tank and keep it solo.

Turtles and cichlids are tankmates you should never attempt. One day a turtle is going to bite off a leg - it is inevitable.

The cichlids are very territorial and ACF can be kept in any ratio of gender because they are not territorial at all. They also have extremely poor vision and are not going to understand why they are being attacked if they go too close to the convicts.

Please get that frog a tank of its own.

Learnt that sad fact today, as I said. I knew the risks, after finding the one dead from I decided to clean and rescape the tank. I put lots of extra hiding spots for the remaining frog and had planned to move it this afternoon to it's own tank. Well unfortunatly I was out last night, and when I got home today I found my frog eaten from the #14### to the midsection. Both legs still intact but the bones along the back aswell as spare uneaten flesh was left...

Very sad day :( Both my frogs dead this week... Guess I've learnt my lesson for the future... SPECIES TANKS WORK.

Most reactions

trending

Back