Accidentally overfed my betta, now he's lathargic

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BMBLSAD

Reaction score
Hi all
I accidentally overfed my betta yesterday (5/27). I didn't realize the tip of my finger was wet when I reached into the food container for a pellet. I thought I was giving him 1 pellet and instead about 8-10 floated off my finger and on to the surface. I did what I could to scoop up the excess, but Tyrion is fast. I think he ate 4-5 dry pellets in a matter of seconds. Since then he's been lethargic and hanging out at the top of his tank, resting on his betta log or IAL. I am fasting him today and then will feed him a blanched, deshelled minced up pea tommorrow, but is there anything else I can do in the interim to help him?

Here's a filled out emergency sheet from another forum.

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 5.5g
How long has the tank been running? April 21, 2019
Does it have a filter? yes, very small Aqueon PowerFlow E with a piece of filter sponge in the spout to slow the flow
Does it have a heater? yes (replaced yesterday during water change because the old one wouldn't heat over 77)
What is the water temperature? 79
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) Betta, live plants including anubia, dwarf hair grass and 2 moss balls

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Monthly unless water parameters say sooner.
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Yes, but lightly because it's planted (EcoComplete substrate)

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes, started cycling on 4/21; added Tyrion on 5/11 after cycle completed
What do you use to test the water? API test kit
What are your parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: steady 8.2
GH: 1 (we're on a well with super hard water, so it goes through a softener first)
KH: 16

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 3x/day
How much do you feed your fish? 2 pellets in the AM, afternoon, and eve
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega One Betta Buffet pellets
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Gave him a couple of blood worms for the first time on Saturday.

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? sine May 11, 2019
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 5/27, about 1PM
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? He's sluggish; sitting on IAL at top of tank
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Usually darting around tank all the time; now, just sits at the top

Explain your emergency situation in detail. See my intro; I accidentally overfed him yesterday after doing the first water change (25%) since I got him May 11. Water parameters matched almost identically. During the water change, I replaced my old heater and monitored as the heat slowly rose from 77.1 to 79.9 over the course of about 8 hours so I don't think that's the issue. I think it's because he ate too many pellets before I could scoop up the excess. :-( Is there anything I can do to help him today while he fasts?

He's fine and just digesting the meal. Give him a couple of days to recover and he should be back to normal.

All fish and animal are opportunistic feeders and will eat any food whenever it is available. Sometimes they go for weeks without food and then they gorge themselves when food does become available.

As long as the food is good and not rotten, it's not a problem if fish eat a lot of food once in a while.

I guess this makes sense. I just miss his crazy antics and feel bad that he's feeling like I do after Thanksgiving dinner. I'll keep a watch and hold off on food for a couple of days. Thanks for the quick response.

He’s fine. Fasting a day is a good idea.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back