Accidentally have Endler fry in my betta tank, is my betta at risk?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Irksome

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, this is a bit rambling...I have recently had a stocking mishap involving a new female Endler guppy who delivered fry in the post and 24 days later dropped more fry.... to accommodate them I have moved my betta from the 10 gallon he honestly didnā€™t like much to the 6.6 gallon that had the baby endlers in. I couldnā€™t catch them all and I sort of expected the betta to eat them as they are very small. He just isnā€™t fast enough or determined enough to catch them. When they are big enough I will catch them and find a home for them. In the meantime do they pose much risk to my betta? He is a half moon with fairly heavy fins and he has been beaten up by guppies before. Iā€™m aware that the tank is overstocked but I am doing water changes ever other day to treat a Cyanobacteria outbreak which should hopefully keep ammonia in check until the stocking is resolved.

Hi, this is a bit rambling...I have recently had a stocking mishap involving a new female Endler guppy who delivered fry in the post and 24 days later dropped more fry.... to accommodate them I have moved my betta from the 10 gallon he honestly didnā€™t like much to the 6.6 gallon that had the baby endlers in. I couldnā€™t catch them all and I sort of expected the betta to eat them as they are very small. He just isnā€™t fast enough or determined enough to catch them. When they are big enough I will catch them and find a home for them. In the meantime do they pose much risk to my betta? He is a half moon with fairly heavy fins and he has been beaten up by guppies before. Iā€™m aware that the tank is overstocked but I am doing water changes ever other day to treat a Cyanobacteria outbreak which should hopefully keep ammonia in check until the stocking is resolved.
I'd be surprised if they'd cause much trouble while still so small, especially if you plan to fish them out when you're able to catch them. I've used endlers with betta fry when moving them onto pellets to basically teach them where to get the food from as it's not swimming around them lol.

My only thought is their requirements for water chemistry may not be the exact same. (Its 12:15am here and my brain is fried)

I'd be surprised if they'd cause much trouble while still so small, especially if you plan to fish them out when you're able to catch them. I've used endlers with betta fry when moving them onto pellets to basically teach them where to get the food from as it's not swimming around them lol.

My only thought is their requirements for water chemistry may not be the exact same. (Its 12:15am here and my brain is fried)

The tap water here is much more suited to live bearers then betta, Iā€™m trying to counter this by adding a little rainwater to the betta tank to soften it a little. I can soon get acidic untreated spring water which is good for the betta but not the endlers.

The tap water here is much more suited to live bearers then betta, Iā€™m trying to counter this by adding a little rainwater to the betta tank to soften it a little. I can soon get acidic untreated spring water which is good for the betta but not the endlers.
Yeah, that'll be the problem. You'll have to try get the endlers out when you can

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back