Accidental "surprise" Breedings.....

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
It happens at times that you do not specifically set up a pair of fish for breeding and then one morning you walk in and see eggs or spawning in progress.... (not even realising that you've got males & females)

Some of those (more successful spawns) I recall are Blue Paradise, Severum, Blind cave tets, Angels (quite often), Blue Acara, Thicklip Gouramies, Moonlights, Spanner Barbs (many thousands), Orange Chromides, and some others, and in all instances, I had at least 5 (Chromides) and 2000 (Spanner barbs) fry reared to maturity....

Have you ever had such pleasant (shocking) surprises???
 
Yep i was moving my tanks around in my house to make room for my new tank and hiding at the back of my cichlid tank was hundreds of tiny jewel cichlid fry,must of them got eaten but i now have 23 very healthy and very fast growing jewels,at the moment they are in a 3 foot tank on thier own and i have no idea what to do with them once they are bigger.
 
Good to see you Ludwig - where you been?

Only accidental breeding I've had has been unsuccessful -oh, the perils of a community tank.
 
The thorichthys aureus that are currently raising fry, now in their own tank, was a complete suprise, thought I had two males, apparently not! Got well over 100 babies all growing rapidly day by day :D
 
I have total havoc in my planted right now :shout: ....my angels decided to have a go at it....and now are terrorizing everything that comes out of the far corner. Ill be dividing my tank soon, they are positively little demons now...... :devil:
 
Guppies.. I guess that isn't a surprise though.

Kribensis.. however I predicted it days before.


Most of the time you can tell when it's going to happen :lol:
 
I've got a thread lower down.
just walked in yesterday evening and my Blue Ram had been laying eggs all over a piece of driftwood!
I'm desperate for these to survive now!
 
I have total havoc in my planted right now :shout: ....my angels decided to have a go at it....and now are terrorizing everything that comes out of the far corner. Ill be dividing my tank soon, they are positively little demons now...... :devil:

That is what is so wonderful about accidental breedings of Angels in community tanks.... They (normally) breed on plant leaves which you can remove easily and hatch seperately in a methylene blue solution in a rearing tank.... Egg scaterers on the other hand means you have to remove all the fish to another tank if you wish to keep the fry.... Angels (& other cichlids) are your best accidental breeders.
 
lol ludwig.....that only works if the plant ISNT firmly rooted to a 23 inch piece of driftwood..... not to mention the plant is directly infront of my my filter output lol....eggs everywhere. Gotta love it. :rolleyes:
 
lol ludwig.....that only works if the plant ISNT firmly rooted to a 23 inch piece of driftwood..... not to mention the plant is directly infront of my my filter output lol....eggs everywhere. Gotta love it. :rolleyes:

Yep!!... just break the leaf off... not the whole plant...
 
:huh: ......... :lol: ......... :blush:


oh wow....now I KNOW i need more sleep. That honestly didnt occur to me....lol
 
Well, my suprise was my first ever fish, in a 10g tank, not cycled etc (what a idiot I was) I had two tetras, two mollys, two plattys. Woke up the next morning to find loads of black molly fry. I thought I was the luckiest boy alive, and thought it was so rare to happen (This was only about 3 months ago :blush: ) Then I joined the forum and got my fish life sorted :good:
 
Well, my suprise was my first ever fish, in a 10g tank, not cycled etc (what a idiot I was) I had two tetras, two mollys, two plattys. Woke up the next morning to find loads of black molly fry. I thought I was the luckiest boy alive, and thought it was so rare to happen (This was only about 3 months ago :blush: ) Then I joined the forum and got my fish life sorted :good:

:lol:

I know the feeling, my mollys did the same.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top