Accidental Fragging

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Gazbo72

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I,ve just had a rock fall while doing a bit of maintanence but one of the heads of my hammer coral has been knocked off :crazy:

Its snapped where two of the heads split leaving about an inch of coral on it before it starts turning to flesh. I,m relly gutted as this head had two little baby ones growing of the side of it . What the chances of survival its all pulled in ( not suprising ) but what I can see there is no tears or rips in the flesh

What now do i Milliput it to a bit of live rock or do I wait, also what about the other half still with the main colony with the open bit of hard coral.

Any help greatly appreciated

Regards Gaz

Put it in a place that's stable with a little flow where it won't get jostled or knocked around again and cross your fingers. Often times they recover fully, and others... :unsure:

Cheers for that Ski

I put the broken bit up near the top out of any major buffetung last night and this morning it looked normal and once the light came on it started to expand so I,ve been to the LFS and got a few small bits of live rock. One bit is just right so I,ve just stuck it to it with milliput so its not so happy being handled so I have put it back near the main colony.

So fingers crossed :good:

The other side of the stalk that it snapped of from looks fine just hasn,t expanded as much as normal but not by much :D .

Just one more thing I stuck it under water but would it have been ok to take it out of water for a couple of minutes.

Yeah, healthy hammer corals or other Euphyllia genus corals can be handles out of water for prolly 15-30 mins actually. If you do have to handle them outside of water, just make sure you never lay them on their flesh. It's also most convenient if you wave the coral around in the water and even touch your fingers to the flesh to get it to retract into its skeleton before removing it ;)

Just an update on how the fragging went :rolleyes:

The piece on the right is the bit that the rockfall snapped off. I thought they wasnt going to make it as the polyps receeded in quite small but they are starting to come back know. Hopefully another couple of weeks and they will be back to normal :good:.

Heres a couple of pics with my fire shrimp gaurding them B)

shrimp031.jpg

shrimp027.jpg

Most reactions

Back