About How Long Till Drop?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mauigirl

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So this female yellow tail looks about ready to me, the picture doesn't do her condition justice, from the top she looks like a tadpole,
the males wont leave her alone, gravid spot black as can be.
Front has dropped and squared, I think.

I just don't want to put her in the breeder box too soon.

m_SAM_0648.jpg

So this female yellow tail looks about ready to me, the picture doesn't do her condition justice, from the top she looks like a tadpole,

m_SAM_0648.jpg
Probably 4 more days at most. I'd expect fry this week from that one.
The platy on the left looks quite close too.

m_SAM_0648.jpg
Probably 4 more days at most. I'd expect fry this week from that one.
The platy on the left looks quite close too.
The platys fry will have to fend, sounds cruel but as you see she has an offspring in the picture already.One of each of her 2 batches survived open tank for her.
The guppies, well I'm fond and want to raise a batch. I'm curious as to the red tail dad with the yellow mom.
Want to see where dominant lies. lol the teacher in me.
how should I measure the "squared"? as this is the final drop of front to back and I thought I had it. but nature might curve me again.

The platys fry will have to fend, sounds cruel but as you see she has an offspring in the picture already.One of each of her 2 batches survived open tank for her.
The guppies, well I'm fond and want to raise a batch. I'm curious as to the red tail dad with the yellow mom.
how should I measure the "squared"? as this is the final drop of front to back and I thought I had it. but nature might curve me again.
This thread shows more about the squaring off.

I still have 1 fry from the latest drop of my red swordie, named him Hoppy because my hoplo guarded him.
And at least 1 lyretail fry from the other female is swimming freely, while its other 4 siblings are in the cage.

This thread shows more about the squaring off.

I still have 1 fry from the latest drop of my red swordie, named him Hoppy because my hoplo guarded him.
And at least 1 lyretail fry from the other female is swimming freely, while its other 4 siblings are in the cage.
Thank you, Hoppy , so cute. I have Kuhlie and corries in this tank. no Hoppie for me lol.
Just want to not stress mom in solitaire nor miss the drop.

Thank you, Hoppy , so cute. I have Kuhlie and corries in this tank. no Hoppie for me lol.
Just want to not stress mom in solitaire nor miss the drop.
Them loaches are adorable, but they don't sell them here so I'll have to settle for hoplo and later on cories in a new tank.
My hoplo's 9 years old and wasn't bought from a shop, he was bought off the open market / plaza. But one day when he'll be gone, i'll have to buy a hoplo from the shop. They have a lot of cute tiny ones and I miss raising hoplos.

It's pretty hard to be extremely on time to catch a drop, unless you observe the fish and notice when their vent is open. Saw my swordtails preparing to drop and was ready with a net (not breeder net, the one you catch fish with) to catch the fry and put them in the nursery. I raise them to 1 cm then put them in the main tank. They seem to get accepted pretty easy at that size by the swordies, though my hoplo just ignores them and will only attack them if they attack smaller fry that he guards. By attack, I mean headbutting, lol.

Not sure whats up, her gravid spot has lightened up and she has thinned down a tad, no fry that I ever saw.
Will continue to watch / wait.

Not sure whats up, her gravid spot has lightened up and she has thinned down a tad, no fry that I ever saw.

Look as thoroughly as you can, take ornaments out and have a really good search in the plants because I always find platy fry by doing this, if I miss them giving birth :sad: Found 2 just yesterday by mistake! :hyper:

That means she gave birth.
You have to look around especially where plants are. Fry tend to stick to plants like little ninjas.

You have to look around especially where plants are. Fry tend to stick to plants like little ninjas.

Haha... You have a fry called Ninja... I see what you did there... :shifty:

Haha... You have a fry called Ninja... I see what you did there... :shifty:
Well, that wasn't the main reason I named him that. It was because his colors make him look like a ninja. He's all black with a red face. So... more like this:
Ninja1.jpg

And his pectoral fins are red too, so... those are the hands. :p

But true to his name, he always hides somewhere and it's hard for me to spot him unless it's feeding time. He will either be under the filter, behind it or under leaves or under my Java Fern's roots.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back