A Warm Hello From A Newbie To Tropicals

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kirsty5

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

as the title says: a warm hello from a tropical newbie :)

I used to breed fantails many years back, and also used to keep marines very successfully - all occupants to the tank were very happy, and therefore, so was I. It was a pleasure to look after them, and a challenge at times, even taking on fish that many said were doomed, but because of this, helped them have some form of life, (one of them being a rescued urchin clingfish who I taught to use a feeding box - #41####, I loved that fish :wub: ).

Yet, here I find myself in at the deep end! Totally new to tropicals!!!

I finally took the plunge again, yes, I've been lonely without my fish and tank, (although very busy with 5 dogs, my other half and running my own business!), I was craving fishkeeping again although promising myself I would never do this again, I finally answered my other half's question: "What do you want for your birthday?", I replied: "A fish tank".........

I decided to keep it small, and decided to go for a fish that I could not be silly with and add more, and more, and more, and oh dear, I need a larger tank, and so on! :lol:

So, I researched, and found the Betta Splendens - pretty and sad at the same time, beautiful and oh so "I need to be on my own!". My other half bought me a 35 litre tank, I have planted it, loved it, tested it, and stared lovingly at it for hours, :rolleyes: , but am now slightly confused and need your assistance!

I know about cycling tanks, and have been cycling mine, I absolutely disagree with cycling with livestock, so it has been fishless, but its been years since I have done this and need clarification. I have had my ammonia spike and the readings are now 0mg, nitrites have been pretty constant recently at 5mg, nitrates have started off low, (as expected), spiked at 160mg, then flew down to 10mg, (I checked it twice as couldn't believe the massive and speedy drop), then today nitrate is reading at 80mg.

Now to my questions, its been a long time and need your help!

Can you get two nitrate spikes?

Should I carry out any water changes to assist the nitrite and nitrate levels since I have had my ammonia spike?

Many thanks in advance, and again, a big hello to all :D

Hi and welcome, honestly this will get many many more replies if you repost this question in the "your new freshwater tank" forum.

Many others are doing a cycle log there, and get daily advice.

I'm unable to answer your other questions i'm afraid.]

Though I can say your betta doesn't have to be lonely, they get along brilliantly with many other species, I myself am keeping one with Corydora catfish, Otocinclus catfish, and some very well behaved tetras (though tetras can be fin nippers)

So, good luck setting up your tank, and of course, when you get your betta, pics please!!

Rusty.

Hi Rusty,

thanks so much for your rapid reply!

I'm still getting used to this malarky, so have managed to initially copy your quote, but think I've sussed it now!

I'll repost on the part you suggested and will positively add photos when "Fingers" arrives!!!

Kirsty

Hi Rusty,

I'm still getting used to this malarky, so have managed to initially copy your quote, but think I've sussed it now!

I'll repost on the part you suggested and will positively add photos when "Fingers" arrives!!!

Kirsty

Fantastic, love the name too.

And don't worry, took me a lil' while to get used to the forum. What colour/s if Fingers then?

Hi Rusty,

Kirsty

Fantastic, love the name too.

And don't worry, took me a lil' while to get used to the forum. What colour/s if Fingers then?
Fingers is an unknown colour at the mo, an unknown quantity, will not be "ordering" him until the water parameters are right! Sadly I am a sucker for high colours!

How very responsible of you, good to hear :good:

Well our betta is blue with red tints at the ends of his fins and portions of his body.

There are loads of absolutely gorgeous colour strains out there, you're guaranteed a gorgeous fish.

Hey, you're a Betta fan too! Great to hear! (I've even bought him ping pong balls in case he needs a footie match! I heard they like them :wub: ).

I've planted numerous fine leaved plants for him, and one broad leaf plant to enable him to make a bubble nest if he wants, but also added some low lying plants as read he could be ok with neon tetras and want them to have hidey holes?

Sounds good.

Betta's love exploring, so maybe you can get a couple of fake plants or plants in little ceramic pots that you can rearrange periodically so he has new areas to check out every now and then.

And a planted tank is always good :good:

Sounds like you've done some good research. Yes he could/should be ok with neon tetras, but they will require some constant monitering when first introduced as they made decide they want to nibble at his fins. If the tetras are well fed and given enough room to hide/sort out their own territorial differences then they should leave him well alone.

Thanks Rusty,

its all live plants for me :good: High level to mid and low for prettiness and the tetras. Mopwood areas too.

I've also got him a coconut cave!!!

The tetras will hopefully be ok as the mopwood has been placed to give height, but also lower lying areas for them to skim under, also the algae balls I have should be fun as they are extremely tolerant and cheap: you can take them out of the tank to allow them to gain air, and they will float, then squeeze them a little and they will go mid way, then squeeze them some more and you have them on the floor! :lol:

Thanks Rusty,

its all live plants for me :good: High level to mid and low for prettiness and the tetras. Mopwood areas too.

I've also got him a coconut cave!!!

The tetras will hopefully be ok as the mopwood has been placed to give height, but also lower lying areas for them to skim under, also the algae balls I have should be fun as they are extremely tolerant and cheap: you can take them out of the tank to allow them to gain air, and they will float, then squeeze them a little and they will go mid way, then squeeze them some more and you have them on the floor! :lol:

Sounds good. I like how prepared you sound.

You should have a very good looking tank when everything starts growing (if it isn't that pretty already ;) )

Right, I need some sleep, so I will catch up with you in the morning.

*yawn and stretch*

It's a cold morning, i'm stuck between get up and watch my fish, or stay in bed and be warm.
(great, now I sound like my mother)

Hope you got some useful information last night, everyone on here is pretty friendly :D

Hi Rusty, after rushing around today catching 2 buses to collect my Landy from the garage, driving it home, checking the tank, now off to walk the dogs!

I am also now clear in what I need to do with my tank to enable it to be safe for "Fingers" and will keep you posted as to when he is able to "come home"!

Hey Rusty,

just thought I'd let you know that I have chosen "Fingers" - he's a crown tail, red fins, turquoise at the base of fins, and dark blue body - fell in love with him when visiting my lfs today and talking them into holding him for me until his tank is ready :lol:

The lfs remember me from my marine days and were thankfully easily persuaded. I've told them to let me know if he misbehaves whilst he stays there, (I'll go over and have a quiet chat with him if necessary :lol: ), and that I will phone when his new home is ready to receive him. They said they would help him pack his, and ensure he doesn't forget his jim jams :rolleyes: Sad, aren't I?!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back