A Terrifying Experience

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JemZ

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I had taken my swordtail out and put him in a separate container temporarily so as to keep him from harassing my female platy while I wait to take her to a warehouse to be temporarily rehomed. I started to play some video games but was keeping an eye on him just to make sure he's doing fine. He was doing well, playing in the container, and exploring. So as I keep playing, something tells me to check upon him. I walk over to the container, and he is gone. Not hiding near the airstone, just gone. At this point, I began frantically searching to see where he was. I look to my left, and there he is, on the carpet looking as shriveled as a raisin. I thought he was dead but as I looked closer I could see he was slowly breathing so I picked him up and put him back in the container and then back in the tank. He's doing fine now, although he looked a bit traumatized and had his dorsal fin "retracted" is the best way I can put it. My days what an experience or am I just being really dramatic lol:fish:

Wow! That must have been scary! Good thing you found him in time.

Live 'n learn - I colony breed swordtails and they can really jump!
20201020_163840 (1) - w.jpg

AbbeysDad he was about 6 inches away from the container so he must have really leaped!

Holy cow, that must have been scary! I always here horror stories of people fish doing that. It’s never happened to me, and I’m so grateful for it! :)

I have a goldfish in my pond which is called "suicide fish". He was originally in a 6 foot tank outside but decided to jump out of that. My wife found him completely dried up and not knowing what to do throw him back in the tank. He is now half gold, half white, all the new scales grow back white. The moral of this story, He ain't dead until he is dead.

itiwhetu Wow! A fitting nickname. Maybe You, I, and @AbbeysDad should get together and enter our fish into the next available long jump competition! They'll get gold medals for sure :p

About 15 years ago I had a cherry barb jump out of the tank, it must have been when I forgot to shut the lid after water change before going putting the equipment away. It was around 15 minutes before I came back to the tank and found her. She looked dead but when I picked her up she twitched so I put her back in the tank covered in fluff - I didn't want to do any more damage by pulling the fluff off. The edges of her fins were obviously dried out as they crumbled off. The fluff came away over the the next few hours and her fins regrew. Within a week I couldn't tell which one she was.

About 15 years ago I had a cherry barb jump out of the tank, it must have been when I forgot to shut the lid after water change before going putting the equipment away. It was around 15 minutes before I came back to the tank and found her. She looked dead but when I picked her up she twitched so I put her back in the tank covered in fluff - I didn't want to do any more damage by pulling the fluff off. The edges of her fins were obviously dried out as they crumbled off. The fluff came away over the the next few hours and her fins regrew. Within a week I couldn't tell which one she was.

Wow, approximately fifteen minutes and still surviving is astonishing, lucky cherry barb!

It could have been less than 15 minutes, that's the time between her last being seen in the tank and me finding her. But it was long enough that she looked dead on the floor :(

Poor thing! Glad she made it essjay, it really shows that fish can be resilient!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back