A quick question regarding pearl gourami stocking.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Here is a pic of the fish in question
IMG-20220729-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20220729-WA0004.jpg

And the tank is exactly 50cm^3

OK. Space-wise this suits slow swimming fish like gourami. You want to ensure you have similarly sedate shoaling (group) fish as well, nothing that needs swimming space. Many but not all of the rasbora species are worth considering. Ember Tetras mentioned earlier are the same. Your parameters are soft and slightly acidic, ideal for many species suited here.

As for the pearl gourami, that in my view is a female. A male and another female would suit the space. I had very docile pearls many years ago, but some have a different experience.

She seems quite calm and and non-aggressive.
So I don't think adding more should be a problem.

And sorry one last thing what would be a optimal amount of embers? I have 6 currently and wanted to buy more but they didn't have any in stock.

Agree on 12-15. My previous group was down to 6 or 7 (had them for years, and a fry or two was included) and when I acquired another 8, it made quite a difference not only to the tank but the older Embers. The more the merrier.

Cool looking tank! I've never been able to get vals to grow in my tanks, even though they're an "easy" plant. I like them.

I concur with 1 male and 2 female pearls. The one you have looks like a female, but judging by the size of her eyes she might be too small to tell for sure. You definitely don't want two males and one female.

Pearls are one of my favorite fish! You'll love having a small group.

Cool looking tank! I've never been able to get vals to grow in my tanks, even though they're an "easy" plant. I like them.

I concur with 1 male and 2 female pearls. The one you have looks like a female, but judging by the size of her eyes she might be too small to tell for sure. You definitely don't want two males and one female.

Pearls are one of my favorite fish! You'll love having a small group.
If I may say I believe the trick to vals is a nice thick substrate to really let the roots spread, also a nice nutritional soil.
Mine grow quite well in sand but I have another tank with gravel and it seems like they aren't doing that well.

I have a 35gallon cube and it's 22"x22". I actually have a female pearl gourami as well.. I bought a pair, male/female which was recommended by the pet store guy... That was bad advice as the male was very aggressive towards the female. I moved him to another tank with white skirt tetras, neon tetras and small catfish.. He doesn't bother them at all.

However people tell me that my tank is too small for her.... So I'm not sure you would want to add more. These guys know more than I do though.
Good luck,
B.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back