A quick question regarding pearl gourami stocking.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishboy_Max

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I currently have a 30gallon square with: a female (I believe) pearl gourami, 6 (don't worry, I'm getting more) ember tetras and a few invasive snails I've been dealing with.
I was wondering if I could get another pearl?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the tank's dimensions? Honestly the tank sounds too small for pearl gouramis

What is the tank's dimensions? Honestly the tank sounds too small for pearl gouramis
Hmm, I couldn't say off my head exactly but its about 1m*1m*1m.(not at home at the moment). But regarding the peral gourami, I have done a large amount of research and there is many different options on the matter, all I want is the best for my fish.
So it is quite debatable if the tank is big enough. I understand the bigger the better.
I am quite new to keeping them but she seems quite happy, demonstrating adequate behaviour and not showing any signs of stress or disease.
She has been in the tank for a month.

The first thing is to pin down the tank dimensions.

Second, are you certain the pearl gourami you have is female? As for adding another, this depends but generally this species is best in a small group with more females than males. One male and two females, or two males and three or four females, etc. The individual behaviour of the fish may impact this, and tank size is a major factor.

Hmm, I couldn't say off my head exactly but its about 1m*1m*1m.(not at home at the moment). But regarding the peral gourami, I have done a large amount of research and there is many different options on the matter, all I want is the best for my fish.
So it is quite debatable if the tank is big enough. I understand the bigger the better.
I am quite new to keeping them but she seems quite happy, demonstrating adequate behaviour and not showing any signs of stress or disease.
She has been in the tank for a month.
Oh yah that tank size should be just fine.
They love space.
If you have a female I would try for a trio. If you get one male and one female then you will have one male and two females.
Then you can get some more embers

A, ok thank you, I know you should keep them in trios but is the tank really the right size?, idk, as I said earlier I'm pretty new at keeping medium sized fish, and yes I believe that it is a female, it has a rounded top fin and a more plump composure, it might be to young to make out for sure so I'll wait a bit.
I was thinking of adding some sort of bottom dweller, any recommendations?

Get the exact dimensions of the tank when you get home, and post them here.

Post a pic of the tank, and of the pearl gourami, as well.

Agree, we really must have the exact dimensions. And the parameters--which are the GH and pH-- are important though not previously mentioned. And the photo of the "female" to be certain.

Those dimensions give 1000 litres, or 264 gallons not 30 gallons. This is why we need the exact dimensions.

Edit to add -
If it's a 30 gallon cube, the dimensions can be no bigger than 50 x 50 x 50 cm.

Those dimensions give 1000 litres, or 264 gallons not 30 gallons. This is why we need the exact dimensions.
I thought that seemed a bit big for a 30g...

Hmm,I see, I guess I was off by quite a lot then. (I've been known to be really bad at guessing measurements).
Aswell I should add that I am gone for quite a while, about a week so can't really check.
I'll ask the carer for the dimensions.

Hmm,I see, I guess I was off by quite a lot then. (I've been known to be really bad at guessing measurements.
It's fine! I'm going to guess if the tank is a cube it's close to 20 inches for each measurement

Agree, we really must have the exact dimensions. And the parameters--which are the GH and pH-- are important though not previously mentioned. And the photo of the "female" to be certain.
My gh is 28ppm and my pH is 6.8

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back