A nice red fish for a 50 gallon planted tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ozzie Boss

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello. I am almost done stocking my 50 gallon planted tank. I want a nice redfish to finish off the stocking, but I am having difficulties finding a fish that would work with my stocking. The 50 gallon is planted with crypts, bacopa, water sprite, and vals. My main concern is the EB acara when it is full grown. Any suggestions for a nice redfish that the EB acara won´t eat? It may not be possible, because the tank may be a bit overstocked. However, opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

Stocking:
EB Acara
3 Angels
7 White Skirts
4 Emerald Green Corys
4 Salt and Pepper Corys
30 Nerite Snails.

Water Parameters:
Gh - 180ppm
Ph - 7.8
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite- 0 ppm
Nitrate- Around 10 ppm.

I am also planning to add 2 more of each cory. It´s hard to buy all the corys at the same time as they only have a few.

Oh, those look stunning. I may just get rid of my 7 white skirts, and get me a big group of those. Hopefully I can find a local fish store that has some, or hopefully, get them to special order me a few. Is there anything I should know about these species of rainbows? Or do they have the same care requirements as other rainbows? Of course, I´ll research them when I get the time. Thanks.

I would not add any upper level fish. Three angelfish will easily fill this tank. And there is the Acara which attains 8 inches, and will likely eat smaller fish.

A few more cories is fine. I agree to get rid of the White Skirts; this species frequently nips fins of sedate fish, so if not now eventually your angelfish and Acara may be targeted.

All rainbowfish require the same care, big water changes, regular gravel cleans and filter maintenance, lots of plant matter in their diet (vege flake, goldfish food, duckweed, etc). Keep a group of 6 or more and have even numbers of males (eg; 2, 4, 6). Keep them all the same size so the big ones don't bully the smaller ones. Try not to let the pH drop below 7.0.

Okay sounds great. Can I keep 6 in a 50 gallon? They get to a decent size and are very active swimmers. Will 4 be too small of a group?

you need at least 6 rainbowfish because they are schooling fish like tetras.

6 adult rainbowfish will be fine in a tank that is 3 foot long or longer.

I use to keep about 10-12 adult rainbowfish (that grew to 4 inches long) in tanks that were 3 ft long x 14 inches wide x 18 inches high.
I kept about 20 adult rainbowfish in tanks that were 4 ft long x 14 inches wide x 18 inches high.

Great that was my only concern besides actually getting them. I heard they are pretty rare. As long as I keep up my water changes, and get some more veggie based foods they should thrive. Thanks Colin.

Glossolepis incisus are common in most countries but G. pseudoincisus can be hard to find. They should be available in the US and UK. If you check online they can sometimes be obtained from online fish vendors.

ANGFA (Australia & New Guinea Fishes Association) has branches in Australia, the US, Germany and a few other countries. Some of their members have eggs or fish for sale.

Pet shops have a wholesale list of fish they can get. Ask your local pet shop if they can check their supply list or contact their supplier to get them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back