A new fish person with some questions...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BlazerBuddy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
A new person to the world of fishies. Quick question, can you house these fish with a Half Moon Male Betta Fish? Also, can you house all of these in a 10-gallon tank?

1 Half Moon Male Betta Fish https://www.petsmart.com/fish/live-fish/half-moon-male-betta-fish-28649.html?cgid=300205
A few Neon Tetras https://www.petsmart.com/fish/live-fish/neon-tetra-23507.html?cgid=300205
A few Sunburst Platy https://www.petsmart.com/fish/live-fish/sunburst-platy-15523.html?cgid=300205
A few Glofish Starfire Red Danio https://www.petsmart.com/fish/live-fish/glofish-starfire-red-danio-23512.html?cgid=300205

yes for the tetras
probably not danios, their ph is different (and gh)
not platies either, ph is different

yes for the tetras
probably not danios, their ph is different (and gh)
not platies either, ph is different
Would these 2 fish be allowed in the same 10-gallon enclosure? Their ph lvls would all work out if I kept it at 6.5.

the skirt tetra would, get more than 3 of them
the gourami would fight with the betta thou...

Would this other glow fish work?

yeah, all skirt tetras work together well...
does anyone here know if that is overstockinig
1626307591967.png
this is a black skirt tetra, any fish that looks like this you can get with yourschool of them.
the glowfish are the same species as this fish and will go together well

yeah, all skirt tetras work together well...
does anyone here know if that is overstockinig
View attachment 139934this is a black skirt tetra, any fish that looks like this you can get with yourschool of them.
the glowfish are the same species as this fish and will go together well
Okay, Thank you, what is the minimum amount of each fish I need to ensure they are happy? I know I can only get one of the Half Moon Male Betta fish.

I don't know if glo fish are nippy, But Black skirts can be nippy and aggressive and I wouldn't keep them with a Betta. You would be better to have a tetra that hangs out more in the bottom of the tank, like Neons or Gold Tetras

I don't know if glo fish are nippy, But Black skirts can be nippy and aggressive and I wouldn't keep them with a Betta. You would be better to have a tetra that hangs out more in the bottom of the tank, like Neons or Gold Tetras
Okay, but the 4 fish I chose are all compatible?

No Platys or Live Bearers. No Danios or Tetras that swim in the top half of the tank. You need to leave the top half of the tank for the Betta

No Platys or Live Bearers. No Danios or Tetras that swim in the top half of the tank. You need to leave the top half of the tank for the Betta
I am confused, will the fish do that on their own, or do I need to change something about the fish/tank?

Okay, so the 4 fish I chose will stay in their separate zones?
Yep. Only that the fish you have chosen tend to swim in the top half of the tank, which you want clear for the Betta. If a fishes mouth faces upwards it swims at the top of the tank. If a fishes mouth faces down wards it swims at the bottom of the tank etc. etc.

Bettas are best kept on their own, they don't need or want tank mates.
And all the other fish mentioned so far need a bigger tank than 10 gallons. A betta on his or her own in a 10 gallon tank would be perfect. If you want other fish, you need another, bigger tank.

I have looked at one of those links, and the information on them on that site is terrible. I don't live in the US but from what I read on here, anything Petsmart says, either the staff in the shop or their website, should not be believed.

This is the best site for researching fish species and their needs

Going back to Petsmart, the video on the glofish danio page shows someone setting up the tank, adding a bacterial starter then putting fish in the tank. This is not how to set up a tank. It needs to be cycled before any fish are put in a tank - and by cycling, I mean growing 2 colonies of bacteria. Bottled bacteria can speed up a cycle but none of them cycle a tank instantly.

Or get some live plants, especially floating plants, wait until you know they are actively growing then get fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back