A new fish enthusiast

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Mauispirit

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the fish world. My husband has always been a fish enthusiast and had lots of tanks growing up. We bought a tank I think it was a 70 gal when we first got married and had cichlids in it for a long time. I loved just sitting in front of the tank and watching them swim. Until one day my favorite fish got eaten by another mean fish and I made my husband take down the tank ( mind you I was 8 months pregnant at the time so he listened) We didn't get another tank until we moved to Maui. I allowed him to put in the 55 gal tank in the dining room as long as he built me a cabinet for my good dishes. We acquired a 300 gal tank several years later and at first we had cichlids and such. This went on for many years. He decided to change it up and put fresh water Angels. We had several pairs up and so we moved one pair into a hexagon tank we had been given and the breeding life started. On Christmas day two years ago one pair of Angels laid well over 200 eggs. From reading forums and talking to other people with the Angel breeding experience, we were told, that probably only 30% would live. Well we lost two. When they got bigger and with limited storage, we were given a 29 gal cube and bought several other tanks. After a year and a half, we still had over 100 fish in this tank. But just the cube. We decided to start breeding bristlenose plecos, because we couldn't find more than a couple and we wanted more for the 300 gal tank and the cube and other tanks. When we finally got to the point to sell, another breeder had scooped in and was selling the tiny bristlenose to the shops. We also at the same time started with panda cories. They were my joy because I enjoyed watching them do their breeding dance. I would collect the eggs and put them in a breeder box. At first, I wasn't having much luck. They kept dying. After months of frustration, I finally got them to live. A couple of weeks ago I sold my first batch of panda babies to the shop. I found out at the same time they were interested in adult angels and larger plecos, which was something I had. yeah. the first thing I do when I get up in the morning I check on fish before even getting coffee...I think I am now a fish enthusiast...

Most reactions

Back