A Month Into My 1st Fishless Cycle...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Nice, a school of glowlights should be really nice looking.

I know what you mean about the light, but I don't really think it hurts them to have it suddenly come on even though they may be pale and scared a bit. If you don't mind doing it, it certainly couldn't hurt doing your extra room light thing (make sure there's no chance of fire of course).. you could have the room light "overlap" (turn off before and after the time that the aquarium light does.

MUCH more important, though, is your other question. Yes, gravel cleans are quite important to do with each water change. You do not want debris/nitrate building up in the gravel. I consider it important enough that if I miss one on a weekend, I try really hard to do it the first or second day thereafter, or I would do two smaller changes during the week if in even more of a pinch.

It is my belief that letting gravel cleans get away from you or not establishing this as a good habit is one of the most common ways for beginners to go downhill with a tank and not have a good experience following the setup period. Filter cleans, on the other hand, are a good monthly habit and need not start until a month after getting fish. This is a guideline though, and an ideal schedule may need to shorter or could be allowed to be longer depending on the clogging level you find. Always use vasoline on any filter "o-rings" if you have them, when you clean.

~~waterdrop~~

Here's some pics of the tank and fish....

Picture001.jpg

Full view of my tank with the fish just added. (10-16-08)

Picture006.jpg

The Tetra's, Danio's and swordtails hiding at first..(10-16-08)

Picture007.jpg

Feeding time (10-20-08)

Picture009.jpg

Closeup of Charlie!

Picture010.jpg

Getting along...

Picture012.jpg

My fish love the Steelers too!

Great Matt, thanks for the pictures! The fish look happy and the water looks really clear and nice.

(assume your stats have continued to look good?)

~~waterdrop~~

Great Matt, thanks for the pictures! The fish look happy and the water looks really clear and nice.

(assume your stats have continued to look good?)

~~waterdrop~~

Just wanted to let you all know that I did my first 20% water change today while cleaning the gravel. I used to use that Eheim battery powered one but bought a manual one the opther day and like that much better. I like that the water comes out with the waste. Stats are good and everything is going fine so far!

I want to thank all of you again that helped me. My fish wouldn't have been as happy if I didn't have you and MW to help guide me through all of my questions :good:

Most reactions

Back