The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Circus

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
So, I go an ivory mystery snail a couple weeks ago and it is now really comfortable in the tank and moving around a lot more. Today I was feeding the tanks and I saw some interesting behavior. Lazy is the name she has earned herself, for hitching a ride to the top of the tank one one of my black devil snails pretty often. So Lazy had performed her usual easy ride to the top, where my devil snail was trying to eat a pellet floating on the water (rather than one on the sand bed, silly snail). Lazy then tries to transfer herself from the devil snail to the glass and fails quite spectacularly, dropping to the bottom and doing a few flips before landing on a jutting branch of driftwood then falling again to the sand. She seems to be fine, zooming off to the top of the tank again (this time under her own power). She then falls off the glass again. I don't think she is intelligent enough to be doing this on purpose, so is there some kind of natural behavior going on here that am I not seeing? Or is my snail so much like a blonde that she can't breathe and stick to the glass at the same time?
Makes me wonder if she is falling or jumping.
Has anybody seen this behavior before from other mystery snails? My golden one does not act like this snail.

Attachments

• 20200825_230148(1).jpg
    20200825_230148(1).jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 20200825_230148.jpg
    20200825_230148.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 116
  • 20200825_230206.jpg
    20200825_230206.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 20200825_230210(2).jpg
    20200825_230210(2).jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 20200825_230211(1).jpg
    20200825_230211(1).jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 20200825_230225.jpg
    20200825_230225.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 108
My apple will drop off the side of the glass in a "jump" and land not so gracefully on the bottom, but she jumps intentionally instead of climbing all the way back down if she's in a mood.

They're smarter than we give them credit for

My apple will drop off the side of the glass in a "jump" and land not so gracefully on the bottom, but she jumps intentionally instead of climbing all the way back down if she's in a mood.

They're smarter than we give them credit for
At leat Lazy isn't the only one then. I am just glad I have sand and not gravel. I would worry about her shell getting scratched or cracked.

They always jump, it's easier than to climb back down.

To be honest, some mystery snail have more personalities than fish.

Last edited:
I know what you mean, my assassin snails do exactly the same thing.

Originally I thought they were clumsy or plain stupid but now I think when they realise they reach the top of the tank, lay their eggs or whatever and then simply drop back down to the bottom, easiest and quickest way of getting down.

I reckon they’re not so daft these snails.
(With exception of perhaps one or two who really are plain stupid!) :lol:

Now I want some snails. They sound pretty cool
My nerites slowly glide about the tank, my black devils happily lurch around the glass (occasionally putting a bit much momentum into it and tumbling), and the mystery snails zoom around.

My Malaysian Trumpet Snail finally had babies, and she wiggles her way through the gravel. She is a freeloader that made her way into my tank through unknown means. I noticed her about 4 months ago, and am so happy she finally had a batch of babies. From my understanding they are a livebearing snail.

There are so many different kinds of snails. Snails tend to do well in hard water too, and not all of them are menaces that take over tanks. Nerites don't breed in fresh water at all, and are devilishly difficult to breed on purpose - you need to switch between brackish and full marine and they eat a specific microscopic organism.

My nerites slowly glide about the tank, my black devils happily lurch around the glass (occasionally putting a bit much momentum into it and tumbling), and the mystery snails zoom around.

My Malaysian Trumpet Snail finally had babies, and she wiggles her way through the gravel. She is a freeloader that made her way into my tank through unknown means. I noticed her about 4 months ago, and am so happy she finally had a batch of babies. From my understanding they are a livebearing snail.

There are so many different kinds of snails. Snails tend to do well in hard water too, and not all of them are menaces that take over tanks. Nerites don't breed in fresh water at all, and are devilishly difficult to breed on purpose - you need to switch between brackish and full marine and they eat a specific microscopic organism.
I do have some MTS on their way now that I've switched to sand :) I had a couple of nerites before, but have to admit that the amount they pooped, plus the egg laying, drove me a bit mad, and they eventually died for unknown reasons, so I didn't replace them. Apples and mysteries are banned here (which is gutting since I've seen photos of purple mystery snails and wanted a couple so much!) but have seen rabbit snails for sale here. I just don't know what they're like poop/egg laying wise. And maybe my nerites pooped so much because they spend most of their time on my driftwood? Not sure.

I plan on transferring some of my MTS into my sand tanks. I hope they will continue to reproduce as well, I was going to order a batch before I noticed my lady snail had thrown a batch.

My two black devils were being sold as "yellow rabbit snails" but have a smoother shell than rabbit snails. I plan on getting a couple of actual rabbit snails eventually. They have goofy looking faces, and how they look out of the shell is cool.

I plan on transferring some of my MTS into my sand tanks. I hope they will continue to reproduce as well, I was going to order a batch before I noticed my lady snail had thrown a batch.

My two black devils were being sold as "yellow rabbit snails" but have a smoother shell than rabbit snails. I plan on getting a couple of actual rabbit snails eventually. They have goofy looking faces, and how they look out of the shell is cool.
Do they seem to poop a lot? How are they with nibbling live plants?

Do your nerites seem to poop a huge amount as well or was I unlucky, lol? Might be going to LFS early next week, so might be tempted to pick up a snail or two if he has any in :)

Do they seem to poop a lot? How are they with nibbling live plants?

Do your nerites seem to poop a huge amount as well or was I unlucky, lol? Might be going to LFS early next week, so might be tempted to pick up a snail or two if he has any in :)
Are you speaking of nerites, MTS, or mystery snails?

Nerite snails do poop more than most snails, but I really like them. If you are lucky, you will get a male and you won’t have it laying annoying little white eggs everywhere. If you get a female... you will have little annoying eggs everyone, lol.

Are you speaking of nerites, MTS, or mystery snails?

Nerite snails do poop more than most snails, but I really like them. If you are lucky, you will get a male and you won’t have it laying annoying little white eggs everywhere. If you get a female... you will have little annoying eggs everyone, lol.
I was asing @Circus about her black devil snails.

I did say earlier in that thread that I'd had nerites before, and don't want more for those reasons. It's a matter of luck whether you get males, and if you wind up with a female, you're stuck with those eggs everywhere, which I do not want. Neither do I want that amount of pooping all the time.

I was asing @Circus about her black devil snails.

I did say earlier in that thread that I'd had nerites before, and don't want more for those reasons. It's a matter of luck whether you get males, and if you wind up with a female, you're stuck with those eggs everywhere, which I do not want. Neither do I want that amount of pooping all the time.
Oh, ok. :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back