A Few Questions on My New Planted Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TylerAquatics

Reaction score
Hey guys. Wanted to ask a few questions about my new planted tank. It's a ten gallon tank with a water sprite, amazon sword, baby tears, and three java ferns. I got the first two a couple days ago and the java and tears today. I got them both off Aquarium Coop. My first question was what are these brown spots on one of my ferns? Is it natural or something I should be worried about? And also, I want to put a Scarlett Badis in it, and I know you need a lot of plants, esspecially if you get more than one. Is my tank setup good enough for one of them or do I need some more?
Thank you
Tyler

Attachments

• 20210916_144324[1].jpg
    20210916_144324[1].jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 20210916_144918[1].jpg
    20210916_144918[1].jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 70
Hey guys. Wanted to ask a few questions about my new planted tank. It's a ten gallon tank with a water sprite, amazon sword, baby tears, and three java ferns. I got the first two a couple days ago and the java and tears today. I got them both off Aquarium Coop. My first question was what are these brown spots on one of my ferns? Is it natural or something I should be worried about? And also, I want to put a Scarlett Badis in it, and I know you need a lot of plants, esspecially if you get more than one. Is my tank setup good enough for one of them or do I need some more?
Thank you
Tyler
I suspect you are doing a "silent cycle"?

Thank you
Tyler
Those brown spots... Are they a 2d shape or a3d shape where they look like they protrude out?

I see. They are also on a couple of the other java ferns. What should I do? And how many snails will be in the tank when it's hatched?
Its hard to tell how many there will be but when they do hatch you can treat the tank with a medicine made for aquariums that has copper in it. Copper will kill off all the snails. Unless you want the fish to possibly have a snack (I dont know if badis eat snails)

Its hard to tell how many there will be but when they do hatch you can treat the tank with a medicine made for aquariums that has copper in it. Copper will kill off all the snails. Unless you want the fish to possibly have a snack (I dont know if badis eat snails)
Ok thank you! The only problem is I have three mystery snails in there too. Any chance I can save them? My first thought would be to move it to my 20 gallon but I have three yoyo loaches in there and I heard they kill them. Also do you have a link to where to buy it?

Ok, just out of curiosity, I looked up if badis eat snails and they do. So you can keep them if you want and let nature take its course.

Ok thank you! The only problem is I have three mystery snails in there too. Any chance I can save them? My first thought would be to move it to my 20 gallon but I have three yoyo loaches in there and I heard they kill them. Also do you have a link to where to buy it?
Hmmm... You could just take those leaves off with the eggs depending on how many leaves have them

Those spots are sporangia, a normal part of a fern.

They are not snail eggs.
Mystery snails lay eggs above the water line in clusters which look like dense bunches of grapes.
Pest snails lay eggs looking like little dots in a strip of clear jelly
Malaysian trumpet snails give birth to live young.

Those spots are sporangia, a normal part of a fern.

They are not snail eggs.
Mystery snails lay eggs above the water line in clusters which look like dense bunches of grapes.
Pest snails lay eggs looking like little dots in a strip of clear jelly
Malaysian trumpet snails give birth to live young.
But he said they were bumpy... Ive seen those spots on ferns too but they are normally darker, right?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back