FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

WhistlingBadger

Professional Cat Herder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a few rams for my 150 gallon. I've never kept them, so I have a few questions for those of you who have.
1. SF says their preferred temp is 80F and up. How important is that? I keep my tank at 77F and don't want to go much warmer than that.
2. It seems they'll usually kept in pairs. In a large tank (mine has around a 2m x .5m footprint) with lots of plants and hardscape, will they do well in a group? I ask because TWS only sells them unsexed, so I'd rather just get a bunch and let them sort themselves out.
3. They mostly stay on the bottom, correct? I don't have any bottom feeders except a huge whiptail cat, and could use some color on the bottom.
4. Are they OK with angelfish? I have a group of scalare and they mostly interact among themselves and ignore everyone else.

Any info, insights, and other wisdom appreciated!

They tend to be pretty peaceful. I think they could live as a group. As for temperature it depends on what type of ram it is. Bolivian rams will do fine but I don’t know about any other species that like that temperature. They will most likely do fine with angelfish just make sure you have enough rams that they can’t be singled out.

The temperature issue is real, and kept at lower temperatures, they won't thrive. They will stay alive for a while.

In groups in a tank that size? Sure. But they'll upset the temp ranges for your other fish, no matter how many you keep.

The temperature issue is real, and kept at lower temperatures, they won't thrive. They will stay alive for a while.

In groups in a tank that size? Sure. But they'll upset the temp ranges for your other fish, no matter how many you keep.
Every time I research the Bolivian ram it has said that they like cooler temperatures than other rams. More like 75 degrees fairenheight.

Every time I research the Bolivian ram it has said that they like cooler temperatures than other rams. More like 75 degrees fairenheight.

The Boliovian Ram, Mikrogeophagus altispinosus, is fine in the upper 70F range:

Water parameters: Soft to moderately hard (hardness to 12 dGH), acidic to slightly basic (pH to 7.8) water, temperature 24-27C/76-80F. While adaptable, seems to prefer soft, slightly acidic water and will spawn more readily. Habitat parameters: < 6 dGH, pH 7-7.6, temperature around 27C/81F.​

The common or blue ram (in any of the varieties) Mikrogeophagus ramirezi is a very warm water species:

Water parameters: Wild-caught fish: Very soft (hardness below 12 dGH but preferably less than 5 dGH), acidic (pH below 7, preferably 5-6) water, temperature 27-30C/80-86F. Commercially tank-raised fish should be maintained in water close to that in which they were raised. The temperature must be above 80F/27C regardless of origin.​

@WhistlingBadger I concur fully with Gary; assuming you mean the blue or common ram in any of its varieties, it is a very warm water fish and will not reach its normal lifespan in cooler water. A group introduced at the same time (extremely important) in this sized tank, with good plantings, should not have serious issues, though spawning might cause these depending upon the temperament of the individual fish.

Yes, they tend to remain in the lower water column, and feed from the substrate, and spawn on flat rock on the substrate.

The rams are one cichlid that can work with angelfish. Just keep the temperature in mind if the blue ram, and angelfish have similar temperature ranges in the habitat (very warm) but commercial fish which you probably have (?) are like the Bolivian, but warmer will not hurt them so far as I have ever read. It might however "up" their behaviours, this is one aspect of temperature, how it affects the normal behaviours of a fish.

Most reactions

Back