a DIY breeder net

GuppyBreeder180604

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi. So i have been using my aquarium net as a breeder net for some time now (like 2 generations of fry) but i end up needing my net for other things so i decided to try and make my own breeder net. luckly i remembered that i had an old reusable coffe filter and some other things to make the net. The thing is that i do not know if coffe is toxic to guppy fry and also i want to know if there is a safe way to remove the coffe scent and if the scent and a stain it has would affect my water quality.

I would not use the coffee filter.

Especially if its been used for coffee.

Caffeine is often toxic to small animals like birds, cats, dogs... id like to guess it would probably affect fish too.

Hi. So i have been using my aquarium net as a breeder net for some time now (like 2 generations of fry) but i end up needing my net for other things so i decided to try and make my own breeder net. luckly i remembered that i had an old reusable coffe filter and some other things to make the net. The thing is that i do not know if coffe is toxic to guppy fry and also i want to know if there is a safe way to remove the coffe scent and if the scent and a stain it has would affect my water quality.
Plastic or metal?
Whole coffee beans are oily. Ground coffee will, as a result of air exposure, lose some of that oil, not all. Coffee residue has oil. I would say a reaounding no to plastic.
Metal maybe, but you would need to use a descaling product meant for cookware and then, of course, clean those chemicals off completely.
(Barista knowledge strikes again.)
Personally, I say clever idea but why risk it?

Plastic or metal?
Whole coffee beans are oily. Ground coffee will, as a result of air exposure, lose some of that oil, not all. Coffee residue has oil. I would say a reaounding no to plastic.
Metal maybe, but you would need to use a descaling product meant for cookware and then, of course, clean those chemicals off completely.
(Barista knowledge strikes again.)
Personally, I say clever idea but why risk it?
Damn. it is plastic, does the oil stick to the plastic?, do you think it will work witha brand new filter?.

I made my own net, similar in design as a net used to catch fish. It was pretty cool as it aged and algae grew on it giving the fry a food source. This net was big too, took up a fifth of the 55 (why I eventually took it out when I had a spare tank). When constructing it is good to keep in mind that they are only worth it when they are of suitable size.

Damn. it is plastic, does the oil stick to the plastic?, do you think it will work witha brand new filter?.
I can't weigh in because I'm not an intentional fish breeder and I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are doing, I just have coffee knowledge and thought I would toss that out there. Sorry. Use your best judgement and keep us posted ☆

I made my own net, similar in design as a net used to catch fish. It was pretty cool as it aged and algae grew on it giving the fry a food source. This net was big too, took up a fifth of the 55 (why I eventually took it out when I had a spare tank). When constructing it is good to keep in mind that they are only worth it when they are of suitable size.
Thanks for the advice i think it is the right size.

I can't weigh in because I'm not an intentional fish breeder and I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are doing, I just have coffee knowledge and thought I would toss that out there. Sorry. Use your best judgement and keep us posted ☆
I will and thanks.

here is the update. It worked great!, i washed it with boiling water and biodegradable dish soap, i added some najas guadalupensis and my fry were so happy. I must say tho, if u want to do something similar i will recomend a new one, and to glue something to make it more buoyant because i had some sinking issues at first. Good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back