A danio committed suicide

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Metalhead88

Fish Herder
Reaction score
When I came home today, I noticed that a giant danio seemed to be missing. After further investigation I found it dried up on the ground.

This happened on a 4ft 90 gallon tank with 3 American cichlids and all had been great so far.

I purposely made sure the lid was tight since I'm aware that danios are jumpers. I suppose that I could have made it just a tad tighter and I'll post a picture of my current lid and will make it even tighter after this.

Is this something that is just bad luck or is it just bound to happen eventually?The lid was quite tight and I'm just surprised that this happened. The danios were not being chased from what I have seen.

Attachments

• 0712191953_HDR.jpg
    0712191953_HDR.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 100
I would honestly say that it just straight up bad luck.

I have no lid on my 10 gal. With a Zebra Danio in it, and he has not jumped in over 3 years.

I realize that each fish is different, but I still think it is back luck.

I am sorry for your loss....:(

That is a interesting...

I really don’t think that the Cichlids chased them out. I have been doing extensive research, and many people think that they are excellent tank mates. :)

All danios and rainbowfish jump and yours probably went over the wall by the filters.
They can be spooked at night and panic jump.

Wow! I keep my lid open if the temp is a little high and have never had one of my danios jump out. I’ll be keeping the lid closed now. Sorry for your loss.

Damn. Another danio has gone missing. I'm assuming he was a jumper too. I can't find the body of this one.

I cut out more of the back strips to seal the tank a little better. Not sure what else I could do. I was liking the danios, they were added less than a week ago.

False alarm on the 2nd one. Idk where he was for the last few hours, but he's in the tank.

Jumping fish. Man, the stories I can tell. Why does the sun come up ? Why does posi-traction work ? Why does fish jump ? They just does. Don't worry, you'll have many more do it before you drain your tanks. They seem to spend all their time looking for that one tiny opening to jump through. Like a guy in prison they plot their escape. And let's face it, they are in a prison.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back