🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AquaPit

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I will be customising a fish tank with the following dimensions;
L90cm x W30cm x H36cm
(26Gallons) Low height, Long Tank

Based on my previous tanks experience, my water temperature will be around 28-29Deg Celcius

So.. What kind of fishes should I look into based on the shape of the tank and temperature?

What sort of water do you have? Some water parameters would help,
What type of substrate are you planing to use?
Is the tank going to be planted?
What type of filtration do you have?
Is the tank cycled?

Please do not think I am being rude or anything like that, By answering the questions members here will be able to suggest fish that suit your water parameters.

NickAu said:
What sort of water do you have? Some water parameters would help,
What type of substrate are you planing to use?
Is the tank going to be planted?
What type of filtration do you have?
Is the tank cycled?

Please do not think I am being rude or anything like that, By answering the questions members here will be able to suggest fish that suit your water parameters.
Its okay :)

Im going for a soft, acidic water..

It will be a sand substrate..

Lots of driftwood..

Low maintenance plants eg.Anubias, Java Ferns..(Just to add some green to the tank)

Freshwater fishes

External Filter (maybe the Fluval brand)

Will definitely cycle the water

Anything I miss? Appreciate your help!

I would love to hear what are your preference and the reason behind that preference..

Tks a lot!

Judging on the layout, size, and water type, anabantioids would probably appreciate it, or you could try a single african butterfly fish.

Ok you got it.

First up please read this Absolute Disaster I am also re setting up my tank. and I have been thinking about it. Here's what I am going to do, I am going to stick with small fish mainly.

Hengeli Rasboras, ( Trigonostigma hengeli ) About 10  of them.  I like them under the right light they look spectacular, Also I found they did well in my water.
Striped Kuhli Loaches, About 5 of them, Personal choice I love how they look like little snakes.
2 BnPlecos a male and a albino female,  These will be the big fish, Again personal choice I like how they look. Great at eating any food they find. I also used feed mine algae wafers.
10 to 15 Red Cherry shrimp, They do well in my water are a great clean up crew and breed lots of little shrimp that fish love to eat.
And maybe some Galaxy Rasboras.

I am done with messing with substrate I have tried a few things and will stick with plain old roundish gravel, on top of that lots of drift wood for the loaches to hide under, and a few caves for the plecos, Low light plants mostly Anubias tied to driftwood some Vals and the like giving the loaches and shrimp more cover and some floating plants like Duck weed and Water Sprite because Rasboras love some top cover.

The reasons.
The water that comes out of my tap suits these fish, I add Easy-Life fluid filter medium — English to the water before adding it to the tank and that's it, I looked into bottled water and RO ( Reverse Osmosis ) and decided it was too expensive and too much fuss. What If I need to do a emergency water change for some reason and can't get the water I need?
These fish all live within a close temp range, I run my tank at 25 deg C, That also seems to suit the shrimp and plants.
No big fish like Gourami they are cool, However I have decided to go with lots of small schooling fish.
None of these fish are aggressive, Ok so they may eat a few shrimp so what.
With plants careful  feeding and a 800 LPH canister filter my bio load IMO is not to much for my setup,  I change 50% of the water weekly and add ferts when I remember.

Like I said I am going with small schooling fish.
Once you decide on the type of fish you are going to keep, do a bit of research on the type of habitat they prefer and try and recreate that you will find your fish are happier and healthier, If your fish prefer a jungle tank then scape it that way, Use real plants rocks and driftwood.

Well anyway you asked. LOL

NickAu said:
Ok you got it.

First up please read this Absolute Disaster I am also re setting up my tank. and I have been thinking about it. Here's what I am going to do, I am going to stick with small fish mainly.

Hengeli Rasboras, ( Trigonostigma hengeli ) About 10  of them.  I like them under the right light they look spectacular, Also I found they did well in my water.
Striped Kuhli Loaches, About 5 of them, Personal choice I love how they look like little snakes.
2 BnPlecos a male and a albino female,  These will be the big fish, Again personal choice I like how they look. Great at eating any food they find. I also used feed mine algae wafers.
10 to 15 Red Cherry shrimp, They do well in my water are a great clean up crew and breed lots of little shrimp that fish love to eat.
And maybe some Galaxy Rasboras.

I am done with messing with substrate I have tried a few things and will stick with plain old roundish gravel, on top of that lots of drift wood for the loaches to hide under, and a few caves for the plecos, Low light plants mostly Anubias tied to driftwood some Vals and the like giving the loaches and shrimp more cover and some floating plants like Duck weed and Water Sprite because Rasboras love some top cover.

The reasons.
The water that comes out of my tap suits these fish, I add Easy-Life fluid filter medium — English to the water before adding it to the tank and that's it, I looked into bottled water and RO ( Reverse Osmosis ) and decided it was too expensive and too much fuss. What If I need to do a emergency water change for some reason and can't get the water I need?
These fish all live within a close temp range, I run my tank at 25 deg C, That also seems to suit the shrimp and plants.
No big fish like Gourami they are cool, However I have decided to go with lots of small schooling fish.
None of these fish are aggressive, Ok so they may eat a few shrimp so what.
With plants careful  feeding and a 800 LPH canister filter my bio load IMO is not to much for my setup,  I change 50% of the water weekly and add ferts when I remember.

Like I said I am going with small schooling fish.
Once you decide on the type of fish you are going to keep, do a bit of research on the type of habitat they prefer and try and recreate that you will find your fish are happier and healthier, If your fish prefer a jungle tank then scape it that way, Use real plants rocks and driftwood.

Well anyway you asked. LOL
Wow! I am amazed! Hahaa!

Tks for the recommendations!

Will read your Absolute Disaster Post too!
LyraGuppi said:
Judging on the layout, size, and water type, anabantioids would probably appreciate it, or you could try a single african butterfly fish.
26Gallons with just that? Hmm okay.. Tks

Generally speaking, you will be considering smallish fish for this tank.  An exception is the African Butterfly mentioned that would work nicely in a pair--male and female are fairly easy to discern when you see them mixed in the store tank, and a pair will interact though for the most part this is a fish that remains motionless as an ambush predator.  So while a nice tank, you would not see much happening day to day.

You could do a swamp type of habitat, lots of plants including floating, and many of the smaller anabantids (gourami) would be ideal.  Or a quiet stream habitat, with the "dwarf" rasbora species in Boraras, Microdevario, etc.  Leaving SE Asia and moving to South America--the smaller and less active characins (pencilfish, hatchetfish in the genus Carnegiella, some of the tetras like Parachierodon simulans [false or green neon] that are rarer), Corydoras, a pair of dwarf cichlids, Farlowella vitatta are some options.

Byron.

Byron said:
Generally speaking, you will be considering smallish fish for this tank.  An exception is the African Butterfly mentioned that would work nicely in a pair--male and female are fairly easy to discern when you see them mixed in the store tank, and a pair will interact though for the most part this is a fish that remains motionless as an ambush predator.  So while a nice tank, you would not see much happening day to day.

You could do a swamp type of habitat, lots of plants including floating, and many of the smaller anabantids (gourami) would be ideal.  Or a quiet stream habitat, with the "dwarf" rasbora species in Boraras, Microdevario, etc.  Leaving SE Asia and moving to South America--the smaller and less active characins (pencilfish, hatchetfish in the genus Carnegiella, some of the tetras like Parachierodon simulans [false or green neon] that are rarer), Corydoras, a pair of dwarf cichlids, Farlowella vitatta are some options.

Byron.
Wow tks Byron!

Actually, I've never heard of the African butterfly before.. Will google them now!

Tks for the options given! Definitely gave me some ideas!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back