A Bad Day in an LFS

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Becca

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ugh, ever have one of those days when you really believe you shouldn't have gotten out of bed? I'm having one today. Let's just give you a quick overview of my day so far:

Woke up and Brian (my husband) and I decided to shop around for some tank decorations for the new 75 we're expecting on Wednesday. We first hit PetSmart. We weed through the numerous customers who are buying fish and make our way to the decoration section and actually found a couple of winners - on clearance no less!

One good point about my Local PetSmart - she was actually trying to talk a couple out of buying a Gourami for a 10-Gallon tank taht already housed several small fish. I feel for PetSmart employees sometimes...especially the ones that know a bit about fish. They're management is interested in the sale - so they can't just deny a fish to a customer. :( It's gotta be hard working at a chain, or any store - for that matter, that's more interested in the sale, not the fit of the pet.

Anyway, we leave PetSmart and head to a LFS that usually has a great variety of rock and driftwood. The store is extremely small - and the aisles are packed with merchandise. In fact, they usually leave tanks that have been specially ordered just laying around the floor - stacked, one on top of another. And in each of the tanks, they'll have a variety of rocks and driftwood.

I found one tank that had a particularly nice piece of driftwood in it and thought "Ooooh!" Of course, I wasn't paying a bit of attention to anything around me and leaned in to grab the driftwood out of the 55-Gallon holding it.

I didn't notice that laying on the floor with nothing in front of it, or on top of it, was an SIDEWAYS 75-Gallon. It still had the blue backing on it from the manufacturer. I had to have noticed SOMETHING was there, because I lifted my left leg up and put my knee on the edge of the tank so I could reach inside the 55-Gallon. For some DUMB reason, I must have thought it was a stand, I lifted my right leg up and BAM...

....CRASH....Yup. I destroyed the 75 Gallon.

I'm still in shock and can't believe I did it. I feel extremely bad. And my pocket is a bit lighter as well...since I'd have it no other way than to pay for what I broke.

Who'd have thought a 75-Gallon Drilled tank with a tempered bottom would cost $150?!?!? Hell, my 75-Gallon, undrilled - complete with Oak stand, top and lighting, tempered bottom and a 20 year warranty was only $300. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like their tank was a bit overpriced. Or maybe I'm still pissed at myself because I didn't pay enough attention to my surroundings to prevent a very expensive mistake.

Oh well. I just hope the guy isn't a total dick to the store when he calls in to pick up his tank and finds out that he's going to have to wait a couple more days for a new one. :(

Fortunately I don't like their fish selection, or the looks of ANY of their tanks - I think I'll just be writing that LFS off my list of places to visit, for good.

You know - I realize I was wrong in doing what I did, and I offered to pay for the tank LONG before anyone from the store even said a damned thing...but not one of the store members even asked if I was alright.

Not once did they say "Hey, that's a big mess - did you cut yourself." or "Do you need to use the restroom to clean yourself up?". Fortunately, I only suffered a few minor scratches and cuts. No real damage done, but it would have been nice if they would have asked me if I was alright.

Instead - they treated me more like a criminal. They stationed one guy at the door and then another guy was told to watch me - he followed me throughout the store, afraid that I'd run and not pay. Like I was gonna run after I gave them my credit card, PLEASE!

I do understand their reason for doing what they did. They don't want to get burned, but come on. A little compassion and sincerety would have gone a long way. Seriously, if they would have been more humane about it, I wouldn't have written the place of my list of places to buy from. *shrug*

Ok - now I'm just ranting, so I'm gonna shut up.

Glad to hear that your ok, too bad they treated you like that. They should understand that these things happen and made sure you were ok, glass can give you nasty cuts. At my church my grandmother fell on the stairs and got blood all over their carpet(A lot, it was in puddles) they were concerned about her and getting her to the hospital.

I agree..though, on the other hand - I should have known better. :/ I really hope the guy that ordered the tank doesn't give the store too hard of a time. :( At least I stuck around and paid for it. :) Some people would have tried to take off and the store would have gotten burned.

I don't blame you, I'd be writing that place off too! :/

I'm glad you're OK though!!

If they have tanks stacked wrong or laying all over the floor that's there fault. That could actually be a fire/emergency hazard if it stops people from getting out of the store for whatever reason. I think there are rules as to how much crap you can have in a certain space. You should SUE!!! That's not how you spell sue is it?

I think it's their fault for having junk laying all over the floor. You should have gotten mad at them because you hurt yourself, even if you did knee it lol.

They charged you retail??????? They should have charged you what THEY paid for it. They just made money on that tank!!

You are a nicer person than me!!!

You know, Tracy...you bring up a good point. I shouldn't have had to pay retail. I'm going to sound like a dolt here, but their taking the funds from my bank account on Wednesday. I didn't have the money just sitting in my checking account, and I get my paycheck then, so they don't have the $150 yet.

I should ask them why I have to pay retail for the tank and why I wouldn't simply pay what they'd have to pay to replace the tank. That is bull####. Why should they make money on the tank a second time because I broke it.

As for suing, lol, it's a nice option, but seriously I like to be able to complain about folks who sue McDonald's for burning theirselves on the coffee, which is quite obviously labeled as "hot". I'd lose that right if I sued an LFS for cutting my knee after I broke a tank because I kneeled on it. ;)

Becca, please don't let them charge you retail. Call them tomorrow and ask to speak to the owner. They're lucky your a nice enought person to pay for the tank, for them to try and charge you retail is really a slap in the face.

I worked in a little pet store through college and we would have never charged a customer for breaking a tank. These things happen. The store can send the broken tank back to the manufacturer and get it replaced for free!!!

Be sure to talk to the owner, I'm hoping you just dealt with some employees that didn't know any better.

you shouldnt have to pay anything if you have to climb fish tanks to reach merchandise their selling :/ .. if they are that bad for space you should tell them it might be time to relocate to a bigger store

TracyRee said:
I worked in a little pet store through college and we would have never charged a customer for breaking a tank. These things happen. The store can send the broken tank back to the manufacturer and get it replaced for free!!!
Very true. We had more tanks break in the store for many reasons and all you have to do is send them back and you're sent a new one. That's really nice of you to pay, but you shouldn't have had to. :no:

Do you know what type of tank it was? You could call the manufacturer and ask what they do in these situations. Then when you talk to the store manager you'll be prepared and armed with information. For all you know he's having a brand new tank sent to him free of charge and will make full retail on both. :sly:

what if someone doesn't HAVE the money to pay for something like that? that is BS.....what fishstore was this at? i mean, location and all....whats the name, what road is it on.....

I am sorry to hear they treated you like that.
I work in retail (Argos), if anything gets damaged we just write it off send it back and do not charge the customer for breakages.
If the store does charge for damages it should clearly state it on a notice somewhere. Also they are liable for leaving things on the floor, that could have been a young child that had done that.
I would contact health and safety and have them pay the store a surprise visit.
For gods sake try and get some of your money back on this one, they definatly should not have charged you retail price, this is disgusting, the person who is buying the tank will be the one who pays the retail price, they should have charged you what it cost them, they are now making double their money on this tank in actual takings.
(If I was you I would print out this post and its replies and take it with you to the store, if you don't get any joy out of them whilst you are there you would be well in your legal rights to threaten to go to the health and safety and also the small claims court, Auratus is right you could actually sue these people for personal injury due to them not keeping there stock at a safe level or with a sufficient covering to prevent such accidents occurring.

You know, I do have the manufacturer name, and I know quite a few stores in the area that special order the brand. (They're a local mom-and-pop aquarium shop...) Anyway, Thanks for the tips - all very good points. I really felt like it was at least partially their fault for having such a whacked out setup...but I know I was at least partially at fault for climbing and not paying attention.

If they really do have to pay for a new tank, I have no problem paying what THEY'D have to pay to replace it...not what they'd charge a customer to buy one. I'll definitely be checking up with Great Lakes (the manufacturer) tomorrow and follow up with the store.

Most reactions

trending

Back