Video 90 Gal. Angelfish Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
my BN occasionally goes a bit mad on my swords. It's only occasional so I don't mind. I keep forgetting to buy him some courgette so it's my fault. That said he's huge. He's not starving by any means

M. green is working very well, the ich is disappearing quickly. The tetra's fins are a little ratty from ich, but are healing quickly. I've heard a theory that if a fish catches ich once, it builds a resistance and never catches it again. This seems true, since only the black neons, cardinals, and columbians are sick. Everybody else is perfectly fine.
My crypts are melting a bit, but all the other plants seem to be in decent shape. I'm going to do a water change and siphon up as much as I can to try and eliminate any cysts in the sand, then dose new m. green to wipe out anything remaining. 
Some pictures while we wait! 
A couple pictures of cardinals-
DSC_0011_zpsagkf5w3f.jpg

Excuse Cheese's photobomb-
DSC_0012_zpsrynudy13.jpg

This is the largest female ram in the tank. She's very brave, I see her begging for food next to the angels all the time. The other three rams are shyer, and have territories in the darker areas of the tank, so I could only get pictures of her.
DSC_0014_zps4hxipxyq.jpg

Excuse her clamped tail, I caught her mid-swim.
DSC_0013_zpshmkdtvai.jpg

The camera dulls the colours quite a bit, the cardinals and rams look much nicer in real life.

looking good and it sounds like you are getting on top of the whitespot. Happy the M. Green is working for you. The ram looks lovely ... she's showing a bit of breeding tube there ... has she got a mate? 

I'm not sure. I do see the other female hanging out around her quite a bit, I'll have to double check the sexing.
After I posted those pictures, all the other rams came out, so more ram photos in a bit. c;

Update: I adore rams. Picture heavy post ahead.
I got pictures of the other female (which is definitely female, just chummy with the largest female) and the flashiest of the two males. The guy's got full breeding colors on, and was busy courting both females while I tried to photograph him. The other male is very shy, and his territory is in the darkest corner of the tank, so I couldn't grab any pics of him.

Picture of the other female:
DSC_0016_zps71ejylsq.jpg

DSC_0021_zpsx1sbbdyi.jpg

Tiny ram smile:
DSC_0017_zpsztyfysng.jpg

Flashy male:
DSC_0018_zpso2qid0fe.jpg

More flashy male:
DSC_0026_zpssoeef7wu.jpg

Surprisingly photogenic when he sits still:
DSC_0022_zpsakjp83sh.jpg

Pardon the insolent angelfish:
DSC_0020_zpsxtny7bdk.jpg

they still look very young but there's definite signs of breeding tubes from all of them - I'd sit tight and keep doing what ever your doing because looking at those photo's I'd say they're considering breeding :)

Cool c: They're maybe an inch and a half, including the tail. 

very young then but it's not that usual for them to breed young. My lfs got a consignment of very young angels in a few weeks ago and within a few days of them arriving two paired off and laid eggs! The rest of the consignment had to be moved out. As far as I know they're still at the lfs and still breeding on a regular cycle

I know they were surprised when they bred and when I saw their size I was too

Updates:
Had to put a black neon down. I believe he had neon tetra disease, wasting, deformed spine, discolored spine, coloration lost, pink-ish internal organs, and problems swimming. I'm keeping an eye on the others in hope it didn't spread.
Hillary is definitely male, he's growing tons of bristles up his nose. I finally got him to eat a decent amount of cucumber a few days ago, but regretted it all when he dropped massive amounts of cucumber-coloured poo. Lucky me.
I have a few hydra growing on the driftwood, but I'm leaving them alone. They're sort of cute, in an odd way.

Cheese and Moody seem to be male, Smudge is confirmed female:
DSC_0012_zpsdhrme3hs.jpg

Cheese and Smudge might be considering pairing up. They've been following each other around and cleaning off anubias leaves.

The terrors:
DSC_0005_zpsym4zgfnd.jpg

Smudge:
DSC_0006_zpsdcp2zd2r.jpg

Cheese:
DSC_0001_zpskzmmjm03.jpg

Smudge is hell-bent on cleaning every flat surface in the tank (favouring a large anubias leaf and the front silicone corners) with very little enthusiasm from Cheese. She's looking rather beat up from her flirting attempts, but hasn't slowed down in the slightest. Moody is moody at the prospect of being a third wheel. 

Apologies for the rapid fire posts, but Moody and Smudge spawned!
Sadly, she chose a front corner to spawn in, so I could only get these photos:
DSC_0002_zpsno6jrzin.jpg

Eggs I could see:
DSC_0023_zpsqw5nde3p.jpg

The only good photo I could get of the whole batch. I got it by sticking a handheld mirror into the tank, hence the terrible quality:
DSC_0027_zpshzzx10l6.jpg

Moody is terrible at this. He kept chasing her away from laying eggs, and when she did, he'd attempt to fertilize them, only to accidentally scrape some off. Any time he'd chase her away, Smudge would run over to her anubias leaf and start furiously cleaning. Cheese looked rather confused.

Hopefully they tolerate the other inhabitants of the tank, and don't become terrors.

Aaand they ate the eggs. But hey, at least I have a confirmed pair?

The tank is stocked, we found some diamond tetras a few weeks ago. I'm not a huge fan of how active the tank is now, but the family likes it. Pictures later. 

EDIT: Also, Cheese is a confirmed female.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back