80 Gallon Reef Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Rayne457

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
It has been forever since I last posted on the forums here. I originally had a 55 gallon setup. Since then I have upgraded to an 80 gallon deep blue tank with the dimensions of 48x24x16. The tank has been running successfully up and running for six months now.

I have an issue that is brown algae or diatoms. I know the general rule is to wait it out and they are supposed to go away, but its been over a month and they just get worse. I've done some research that they feed on silicates and as soon as that food source is gone they will disappear. However, it just does not seem to be happening. My fish and corals are doing great but the brown is ugly. Water test that i ran go as follows, Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrates-.15, Calcium-425, Magnesium-1300, KH-10.7, Phosphates- .04. These test were done with red sea pro test kits. I use Red Sea pro salt. Although, shortly I plan on trying a mix of Tropic marin and IO Reef Crystals because the red sea has been popping up in discussions as having issues with causing cyano, so that may solve the issue I'm having as well.

Any advice or ideas are welcome.

Most reactions

Back