72 Gallons, What Shall I Put In It?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

CBBP

Fish Addict
Reaction score
:/ 72 gallons with 3X the needed filtration. Any recommendations? I was going to add loaches but I dunno.. any freaky cool things I can add to it? :/

That depends on a number of things.

Water Stats?
Dimensions?
Total GPH of circulation?
Planted?

More information is needed for suggestions.

Water Stats?
Dimensions?
Planted?

well I tis cycling right now.. but it is a 72 gallon bow front (4'W X 13"D (ends) 18"W (middle) X 24"H

as for others It can be anything planted or not. its GPH is what ever a rena XP3 is I have a power head though.

Water Stats?
Dimensions?
Planted?

well I tis cycling right now.. but it is a 72 gallon bow front (4'W X 13"D (ends) 18"W (middle) X 24"H

as for others It can be anything planted or not. its GPH is what ever a rena XP3 is I have a power head though.

how fast do red Belly Pacus grow? :/ I know they get huge...

Water Stats?
Dimensions?
Planted?

how fast do red Belly Pacus grow? :/ I know they get huge...

For a tank that size red bellied pacus are not even an option. You could basically put any type of polypterus. And/or spiny eels. There are lots of things you could put like datnoids, mormyrids, small knives, leaf fish, strange catfish, or south american lungfish. Dont mix mormyrids and knives though.

For a tank that size red bellied pacus are not even an option. You could basically put any type of polypterus. And/or spiny eels. There are lots of things you could put like datnoids, mormyrids, small knives, leaf fish, strange catfish, or south american lungfish. Dont mix mormyrids and knives though.

mm.. I am interested in the lung fish, Knives, datnoids. What do they eat and what are their requirements and such? Any compatibility? (like tetras and others)

Also, I noticed this fish called the Mono Sebae at the Super FS today. They had it in with airawana(sp?) so I guess it is aggressive. Any of the previously mentioned able to be in with it?

Red Belly pacus are not even an option for a tank this size. You could try the similar Red Belly Piranha though, which grows to 12 inches.

Note that Monos are a Brackish water fish, not suitable for freshwater. EDIT: Monos are not aggressive.

[/quote]

mm.. I am interested in the lung fish, Knives, datnoids. What do they eat and what are their requirements and such? Any compatibility? (like tetras and others)

Also, I noticed this fish called the Mono Sebae at the Super FS today. They had it in with airawana(sp?) so I guess it is aggressive. Any of the previously mentioned able to be in with it?
[/quote]

Well, you (IMO) are open to a couple of knife fish (JUST ONE, but within a couple species) Arowana (or airwana, they have a million LFS names :/ ) Will absolutely not fit, and the same goes for monos (brackish water, big fish, need shoals) As for knife fish, you could have one Black Ghost knife IMO, but it may be a little cramped. I keep mine in a 90 Gallon. I know an African Knife Fish would do, they get much smaller than BGK's (about 12 inches compared to 20 or 24) I think either knifefish would eat tetras or any small fish able to fit into their mouths. Mine gets fed frozen brine shrimp and occasionaly he'll eat omega 1 flake food.

what about royal? and as for African Knife Fish how many could go in a tank? do they like plants? what para?

And what is this lung fish? it is ugly as all hell but cool haha.

hey, what the devil? south american lungfish are huge.. how would that go in my 72 gallon?

what about royal? and as for African Knife Fish how many could go in a tank? do they like plants? what para?

And what is this lung fish? it is ugly as all hell but cool haha.

hey, what the devil? south american lungfish are huge.. how would that go in my 72 gallon?
Yes.. the red bellies... :/ can I feed them chicken?I mean.. do they nee live? and how often do you need to feed them?

what about gold bellies?

also, red bellies.. I could have 4 yes? and what could I keep with them? (knive fish? haha) this guy says tetras do well http://www.geocities.com/heartland/prairie...Speciesmix.html

Do they bite? I mean I want to make the tank planted.. can I stick my hand in or do I need my chain mail making friend to make a chainmail sleeve?

Piranha Central answers most of your questions. But no, piranhas do not need live foods, they accept even pellets and sticks. Yes, you can stick your hand in there, they wont bite. Never heard of gold bellies, common names of piranhas are almost useless.

Piranha Central answers most of your questions. But no, piranhas do not need live foods, they accept even pellets and sticks. Yes, you can stick your hand in there, they wont bite. Never heard of gold bellies, common names of piranhas are almost useless.
like a red belly only "gold"

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?ei=UTF-8...a&vback=Results

anyway, about reds.

Basic needs are these right?
PH of 6.7
Temp of about 76F
lots of O2
A current (my Rena XP3 has one side of the tank a cm lower then the other, is that a good current? I can also have a power head make more)
Low Light (what if I have plants for shade?)
food.

I didnt watch that video because of the feeder fish being used, might want to put a warning label on it. Anyways if you give a scientific name I will know what species you are talking about.

PH of 6.7
Temp of about 76F
lots of O2
A current (my Rena XP3 has one side of the tank a cm lower then the other, is that a good current? I can also have a power head make more)
food.
Pretty much, might want to get that temperature up a bit though as they are warm water fish. The Rena XP3 has a 350 GPH rating, which is not enough filter or current for the tank. Add a quality HOB or small canister. Faster flowing waters are appreciated, but so long as the total tank circulation is above normal plus a powerhead in one area you should be fine. The piranhas should do fine under high lighting so long as the are planty of tall weedy plants such as Vallis to lurk through. They may be a bit more nervous under high lights, but will do fine.

I didnt watch that video because of the feeder fish being used, might want to put a warning label on it. Anyways if you give a scientific name I will know what species you are talking about.

PH of 6.7
Temp of about 76F
lots of O2
food.
Pretty much, might want to get that temperature up a bit though as they are warm water fish. The Rena XP3 has a 350 GPH rating, which is not enough filter or current for the tank. Add a quality HOB or small canister. Faster flowing waters are appreciated, but so long as the total tank circulation is above normal plus a powerhead in one area you should be fine. The piranhas should do fine under high lighting so long as the are planty of tall weedy plants such as Vallis to lurk through. They may be a bit more nervous under high lights, but will do fine.
any idea if they are legal in the state of maryland? :/

I know these libral law makers make stupid gun laws.. so I figure they probably don't make smart fish laws either... -_- oh.. 350 gph is not enough filtration? it is made for 175 gallon tanks.. :/ that is 2.4 times the needed filtration. I can always add another one.

Most reactions

Back