70L - My First Planted Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FingersofFish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Okay so I'm new to the hobby, starting my first tank and wanting to keep a record of my progress and get others opinions and suggestions along with advice.

Started the tank running a few days ago, tank was planted last night and will be beginning full fish-less cycle today. Using natural gravel mixed with some resin gravel, with tropica planting substrate underneath. Decoration is natural rock and wood.

0d4475ea1cea620a3d0da77b4f7a53b5.jpg

Your tank is looking great and will look even better when the bacterial bloom disappears.
What filtration and heating are you using? Running the water temp at around 29° will speed up the cycle 
If you haven't already been, check the link at the end of my post for cycling help and feel free to ask any questions.
Just be aware that live plants can slow down the process as they will be competing with the bacteria for ammonia and nitrAtes but some say if you are going to have plants you might as well cycle with them in place and then there are no dramatic water parameter changes once cycled. The bacteria and plants will strike a happy balance eventually.

Thanks for the feedback. I upset the substrate a bit when adding water so for the first day there was a lot of muck!

Im using an aquael aqua comfort 100w heating, currently have it set to 24. Filtration is built in trickle filter above the tank 1200l/hour with 2 sponges and 2 carbon blocks underneath. Lighting is LED and I have running for 7hours a day at the moment.

I will turn my heating up if that will help and will be following your guide for cycling. I figured adding the plants first would be better for a first timer as I don't want any dramatic changes once the fish are in!

Sorry I've just realised that's an old link. If you go to the tabs at the top of every page and select Cycling a tank - that is more up to date and very helpful .

That's okay, will check on the newest version before I start later today.

Phew! Didn't want you dosing to 5ppm as in the old pinned thread.
The new method is less aggressive and apparently works quicker.
I'll be testing it myself soon maybe as I'm thinking about setting up a snail tank.

Welcome, to the forum, and good luck with cycling. Tank looks lovely

Thank you, cycling is progressing well after a rough start, plants make it go a bit crazy. Ordered some more plants and bog wood today as I want some height! Also have co2 set up and am thinking about ferts

Update:

So the tank is coming along nicely, finished cycling 2 weeks ago and have made some changes.

Main Changes

Added Single 1Inch Airstone to aid oxgenation and water movement.

Added some Cypts, Alteranthera, and Weeping Moss
Added a large (Fake unfortunatley) hollow wood piece - would of prefered natural but needed hiding spaces for the fish.

Removed bioreactor CO2 system as it wasn't delivering and decided on liquid carbo dosed at 1.4mL daily, with K2PO4, KNO3 and Seachem Flourish dosed 3 times a week prior to a 50% water change on sundays - plants seem to be doing okay.

Added 650l/pH Circulation Pump to ensure plants receive nutrients around base of tank.

Stocking (Current)
3x Male Endlers Livebearer
1x Red Wagtail Platy
1x Blue Mickey Mouse Platy
3x Dwarf Chain Loach

Further Additions
6x Chilli OR Espei Rasbora (should get in a weeks time)

Next Steps:
Vallis + Giant Vallis at the back will be removed due to intollerance to liquid carbo... will probably replace with more Alteranthera (undecided)
Water sprite will be removed as it has melted
Add some water lettuce to subdue the lighting for the loaches.

As for the loaches, bought these without researching first *argh!* under advice they would control snails better than assasins, whilst this has been the case (I rarely see snails) I don't feel its fair to keep them in the tank forever given it's 61cm in length and has fairly rough substrate (although they seem happy enough and even shoal sometimes)... and since i find them fascinating fish I have a new 33Gal coming this week and am planning an indonesian themed tank geared roughly towards the needs of the loaches, I will probably get 2 more aswell once in the new tank and other stocking will be focused towards fish from the same continent.

Pictures:
0415ba79bb853c641a501cde6bfc7c4f.jpg

a9882f40ab7d93cf4dde753726e93a7a.jpg

5acc581c-5c89-4777-9754-25e72eb50842.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back