65 gallon community tank stocking

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nicholas pilgram

Reaction score
hi all,
I'm looking into upgrading into a 65 gallon aquarium. I want to make it heavily planted and a community tank. i will also be moving some fish into the aquarium.
fish that will be moving into the aquarium:
- 6 black phantom tetras
- 5 bronze corydoras
- 1 bristlenose pleco
those fish will be added. What other fish could be added once the 65 gallon is set up. I like rainbowfish and was wondering if these could be added.
thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness) and pH of your water supply. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

---------------------------
The fish you have listed (tetras, Cories, pleco) all come from soft acid water with a pH below 7.0 and a GH below 100ppm.

Most species of rainbowfish need a pH above 7.0 and a GH above 150ppm. The exceptions to this are wild caught Iriatherina werneri and Rhadinocentrus ornatus. These fish normally come from soft acid water with a pH below 7.0 and a GH below 100ppm. However, if they are captive bred they will be fine in water with a pH above 7.0 and GH above 100ppm.

There is more info on rainbowfish at the following link.
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness) and pH of your water supply. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

---------------------------
The fish you have listed (tetras, Cories, pleco) all come from soft acid water with a pH below 7.0 and a GH below 100ppm.

Most species of rainbowfish need a pH above 7.0 and a GH above 150ppm. The exceptions to this are wild caught Iriatherina werneri and Rhadinocentrus ornatus. These fish normally come from soft acid water with a pH below 7.0 and a GH below 100ppm. However, if they are captive bred they will be fine in water with a pH above 7.0 and GH above 100ppm.

There is more info on rainbowfish at the following link.
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm
My Ph stays right on 7 and the dimensions are 120 x 45 x 55cm.
(also ill have to test the hardiness but i believe it is around 100ppm)

Your tank is big enough for any of the rainbowfish and your pH is fine too.

If the GH is suitable and you want rainbowfish with the black phantom tetras, look at the smaller species of rainbowfish. A group of 10-20 Iriatherina werneri would be fine with them. I would also increase the number of black phantoms so there are 10 or more.

Would boesmani rainbows and dwarf neons (praecox) go well or would they not work with the stock?

Melanotaenie boesemani need hard water (GH above 250ppm) and will probably bash the black phantom tetras.

Melanotaenia praecox would be ok.

Male New Guinea red rainbow (Glossolepis incisus) is the most aggressive rainbowfish and is not suitable for a tank containing small fish.

I need to know the GH before I make more suggestions.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back