60L Tank Stock Query

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Padderz

Reaction score
Hello in my tank I currently have 10 neon tetras, 1 Betta and 2 dwarf otto's. I am wanting to add more otto's I was thinking maybe 8 more to make a shoal of 10 as I know they like being in a group and 2 isn't enough!

Doesn't have to be a shoal of ten could be 6 if it's to many.

The tank is 60l and is filtered by a fluval u2 so a pump suitable for 110 litres. I'm just wondering if you think this would be ok ?

I carry out a water change every 2 weeks.

Thanks and appreciate any advice.

Matt

Your Otto’s will be happy in a school of 6. You should be doing weekly water changes of 75%. If you do this, you could at 6 more.

I would not add that many otos (10) in this small a tank. They are shoaling fish, but I would not go above five in total.

I also agree that you need to be doing more frequent water changes, once a week, and each with 50-70% of the tank volume. The filter really has no effect on this, as water changes remove pollutants no filter can, and replace them with clean water. Increasing filtration is not a benefit unless the tank is grossly overstocked to begin with, which this one is not.

You also have neon tetras in with a male Betta. This is a real risk, as most Bettas do not appreciate the company especially with bright coloured fish.

I would not add that many otos (10) in this small a tank. They are shoaling fish, but I would not go above five in total.

I also agree that you need to be doing more frequent water changes, once a week, and each with 50-70% of the tank volume. The filter really has no effect on this, as water changes remove pollutants no filter can, and replace them with clean water. Increasing filtration is not a benefit unless the tank is grossly overstocked to begin with, which this one is not.

You also have neon tetras in with a male Betta. This is a real risk, as most Bettas do not appreciate the company especially with bright coloured fish.

Ok thanks for your advice

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back