60 gallon stocking ideas HELP

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

kgodwin00

Reaction score
Iā€™m very confused Iā€™ve not set anything up yet so I canā€™t give parameters and Iā€™ve already done the proper prior research on the requirements as far as ph hardness temp hiding places substrate temperament and all that good jazz goes for the different fish I was interested in Iā€™m just confused on where to even start on stocking Iā€™m very interested in A rainbow shark but that cancels out a lot of other fish I was interested in such as cichlids and other bottom dwellers, Iā€™m also interested in a pair of pearl gourami but then that cancels out the tiger barb school I want to do and if I do end up going with the tiger barbs and rainbow shark anyone know a decently cheap small schooling fish with some blue coloring to contrast all the red that could successfully live with them, any other ideas for stocking are welcome Iā€™m just overwhelmed with the options and need help lol thank yā€™all.

It's better to avoid aggressive fish as you can only keep limited number or species of fish.
You'll be bored as you will only have a few species of fish in a big tank.

Let us know your GH(soft or hard water) and we can recommend fish to you.

A combination of some Cichlids plus 1-2 or 2-3 groups of schooling fish will make your tank more interesting.

Some articles about stocking your aquarium for your reading here.

Welcome. This bunch on here will keep you right.
A/ Find out your water hardness and ph from your water providers website.
B/ Figure out what size tank youā€™re gonna buy.

Theyā€™ll be full of useful suggestions then.

It's better to avoid aggressive fish as you can only keep limited number or species of fish.

A combination of some Cichlids plus 1-2 or 2-3 groups of schooling fish will make your tank more interesting.

That first link says Upside Down Catfish grow to 4ā€ (20cm). Hmmmm.
Due to staring out of the window at school Iā€™ve had a tape measure hanging from my pocket at work for over 40yrs. Not one of those tapes had 4ā€ equaling 20cms.
1ā€=2.54cm.
4ā€=10cms. For ease of use.

You can usually find your water hardness on your water provider's website. It won't change once you've set the tank up unless to do something to deliberately change it.
I have well water with a water softener attached, but Iā€™ve still had great luck with platys and guppies which I know need harder water, so Iā€™m not sure exactly where it stands is there a way to test it?

API water hardness testing kit is what I used. Problem is Iā€™ll probably only use it the once.
I may actually start taking it out n about when the C19 dust settles and start testing random places water for the sheer hell of it.

Thank you for the websites, I searched it up online and it said that the average for water in my area is 129 ppm however I do have a water softener attached to my water pump so Iā€™m sure that softens it up a bit

List the fish you like and we will come up with a combination, hopefully. :)
Iā€™m really interested in a rainbow shark was thinking of him with either some pearl gourami and then a couple different schooling species
Or if not the gourami then tiger barbs and a blue schooling fish or I veto the shark all together and do some cichlids
Or a pair of angels and a bunch of schooling fish Iā€™m just confused but I know I want at least some decent sized fish

What type of water softener is it? Some types use salt and these should not be used for fish. They replace the hardness minerals with sodium and no fresh water fish have evolved to cope with sodium in the water (except maybe Rift Lake cichlids)
If you have hard water and want to keep soft water fish, you need to mix the hard water from the bypass tap with a forum of pure water such as RO.

Thank you for the websites, I searched it up online and it said that the average for water in my area is 129 ppm however I do have a water softener attached to my water pump so Iā€™m sure that softens it up a bit
Not salt based I hope?

Always the great dilemma. What kind of fish to put in an empty tank. Have you been in the tropical fish hobby a long time or are you a newcomer ? The long time hobbyist may want to revisit old friends and the newcomer may want to become acquainted with new ones. There are so many fish to choose from. If I was to venture a guess, I'd say that tank will house many different fish of all kinds in the years to come.

Always the great dilemma. What kind of fish to put in an empty tank. Have you been in the tropical fish hobby a long time or are you a newcomer ? The long time hobbyist may want to revisit old friends and the newcomer may want to become acquainted with new ones. There are so many fish to choose from. If I was to venture a guess, I'd say that tank will house many different fish of all kinds in the years to come.
im more of a new comer i currently have a 30 gallon with a pearl gourami some harlequin rasboras and 4 guppies and one baby bristelnose pleco, then a 5 gallon beta tank and a 10 gallon beta tank, another reason i was confused on what to stock it with is because i was gonna attempt to make it to where i could get the gourami a female and put them in the 60 gallon but didnt want him to get picked on or stressed cause hes thriving in the tank hes in right now. also if you have any ideas as to what some cool fish are that ive not mentioned im open to them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back