5Gallon Filter For My Betta

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

yancho

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hei there,

I was told to post here about my new set up for my betta fighter. The aquarium is very small: 37x20x23cm which is going to host just 1 betta (I love these!)

Can you please help me review the products which I am thinking of getting?

Filter: "Elite Stingray 5 Internal Filter. Quiet and Efficent for Aquariums of up to 19l." 5Gallon

Heater: Resun 25 Watt 25W Glass Aquarium Fish Tank Water Heater 25W

Air Pump: None

My main concern is the current generated in this tank. It will have 3 small plastic plants. Will the current generated by the Stingray be too much for my Betta? If yes what do you suggest please? Maybe Air driven filter?

Heard some ppl saying use active gravel rather than filter, and do weekly water changes, but if I can avoid this it would be better. Any other filters worth looking at? The guy at the LFS said I can redirect the current of the Stingray agains the aquarium wall - do you agree?

Thanks for your help

For filter I'd recommend the Marina i25. I used to have one and so does 'ianho' and its a great cheap filter, and the filter cartridge are cheap too! It produces a gentle flow, perfect for Bettas.

I have a JAD mini filter in mine with spray bar; it's a powerful little thing but with the spraybar attachment it's perfect for a betta. It doesn't even blow mine over and he flares at the filter; his previous filter used to blow him over all the time.

Edit: Heaters; you will definately need a 25watt one. I have an aqua one model. If possible get one with a thermostat so it turns off when it reaches the desired temperature. We don't get much choice of filters here; basically it's aqua one of fluval and fluval are almost 3 times the price!

I have the elite stingray in one of my betta tanks. The flow is gentle enough as it can be turned to the wall and I don't have it too near the surface. It works well, is quiet and never clogs. I think it is prone to tearing his fins though, so I have put stocking over the intake and this also helps reduce the flow. If the current is still too much you can also place an object or plant in the way and this helps lower it. I'd recommend silk or real plants with bettas, as plastic can tear their fins.

I don't have that heater so can't comment on that, sorry.

I have a JAD mini filter in mine with spray bar; it's a powerful little thing but with the spraybar attachment it's perfect for a betta. It doesn't even blow mine over and he flares at the filter; his previous filter used to blow him over all the time.

Hi, Can you please give me the model number of the JAD mini filter?

Thanks

I've PM'ed you a link to a photo of the box (hopefully it will get though).

The model is the SP-601E.

It's a quiet filter too; I did have a slightly larger JAD filter but it was REALLY noisy. This one is quiet (its in my bedroom). Like all filters it's noisy when you first turn it on until all the air is pushed out of it; otherwise it's ideal.

If you do get that filter; angle the spray bar towards the wall and your betta won't have a problem with the current :)

I've PM'ed you a link to a photo of the box (hopefully it will get though).

The model is the SP-601E.

It's a quiet filter too; I did have a slightly larger JAD filter but it was REALLY noisy. This one is quiet (its in my bedroom). Like all filters it's noisy when you first turn it on until all the air is pushed out of it; otherwise it's ideal.

If you do get that filter; angle the spray bar towards the wall and your betta won't have a problem with the current :)

Hi,

thanks for your message. isn't this a bit too big? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JAD-SP-601E-AQUARIUM-FILTER-SPRAY-BAR-/260714935082?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3cb3d2332a

Here it says it has 200L per hour cycle.

Again thanks

sorry and thanks again mate! didnt see the reply!

bought :)

Most reactions

trending

Back