56 Gallon Column Style

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

eaglesaquarium

Life, Liberty & Pursuit of the perfect fish tank
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
So, I have moved my tank from the dining room to the living room.  It was NOT an easy move, but it was so worth it.

So, without further delay... pics:

Beginning by eaglesfan54, on Flickr

hardscape by eaglesfan54, on Flickr

planted by eaglesfan54, on Flickr

filled and lit by eaglesfan54, on Flickr

filled again by eaglesfan54, on Flickr

Hardest part of the whole thing: moving the BN pleco out of the tank, and then getting him back into the tank.

His old home is gone, but I think he'll like his new one.  It took him a while to find it, but he finally did.  The large piece of wood in the picture has been in the tank for a few months, and he's taken no notice of it (seemingly)... but now he's moved into it.  (Did I mention the entire inside is hollowed out?)

Nice work on both the set up and getting a tank moved! Gonna look awesome when all those plants grow out more :)

A few more details as we move along:

After an exhaustive search for a substrate that is more aesthetically pleasing and cory friendly, I finally settled on "Estes ceramaquartz - S grade".  This stuff is AMAZING!  

First, it is available in a range of colors, I chose black, obviously.  But plenty of other options exist.  Finding a vendor wasn't hard either - I emailed the Estes company (including my zip code) and they quickly sent back the location of the nearest retailer.  It was about 30 miles away, so a special trip had to be arranged, but it was easy peasy to get to, pick up and I met some very nice people at the family owned and operated location.  If I were in the concrete business, I'd probably have a new supplier!

Second, this stuff is extremely fine.  I purposefully got the finest stuff I could to ensure that it would be safe for my (future) cories.  It is very fine, but it sinks readily, very quickly.  Even if my BN makes a bit of a nuisance of himself (which is only a matter of time) the sand quickly returns to the bottom without floating about a great deal, minimizing the chances of it getting caught by the filters.

Third, no washing required.  You read that right... NONE, ZERO, ZILCH.  A took a small sample and tested its 'cloudiness'.... would you believe that there is ZERO cloudiness!!!   The only cloudiness that occurred in the tank whatsoever was the small amount of mulm that I placed on the bottom of the tank before the sand went down.  That kicked up a little, but not much.  This stuff was SUPER easy to deal with.  We will see how the plants do with it now.  Its very easy to move around underwater, so I am extremely hopeful that the roots will take hold soon and the plant growth will begin shortly.  

This substrate is inert, and its produced by one of the same companies that makes so many different gravels that you can find on the market.  It is quartz coated in a ceramic.  

Being inert has some disadvantages, of course, such as the fact that my heavy root feeders will have no source of nutrients from their roots.  I plan to remedy that very easily.  I've just purchased several hundred empty gelatin capsules and will be picking up Osmocote this afternoon after work.  The osmocote will be placed into the capsules, and then the capsules will be injected into the substrate around the roots of the heavy feeders.  I will also be dosing macro (and even some trace) nutrients into the water column biweekly.  These two steps should keep the plants quite happy with the nutrients available in the tank.   

Plant list (forgive me, I may forget a few):
Echinodorus - Red Ocelot
Echinodorus muricatus
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Cryptocoryne walkerii
Hygrofilia difformis - water wisteria
Hygrofilia augustfolia
Saggitaria platyphylla - dwarf sag
Anubias lanceolata
Anubias coffeefolia
Microsorum pteropus - Java Fern
Elodea densa - Anacharis 

Looks nice so far, excited to see how it develops. Think it will look a lot more full when the plants properly grow out.

Like the choise of substrate, still amazed that not washing / rinsing required, that saves a LOT of time.

Good luck with the osmocote capsules, sounds like fiddly work.

But plant choices are good, I  have had most of these at one point or the other, most pretty easy plants to grow. The amazon will grow pretty big as you already know and will fill out part of the tank nicely :)

Look forward to how this progresses and more pics of course :)

Got a few fish to go with my current group of survivors:

Surviving group:
2 male platies
1 BN male
1 cherry barb
1 candy cane tetra

New additions:
1 Bolivian Ram (aka 'Scar' - my son named him)
6 neon tetras
1 male platy (Red Mickey Mouse)
2 male mollies (1 black, 1 silver lyretail)

what do you have for lighting in that tank?

So, there's not much happening right now with the plants to report, they are (hopefully) settling into their new places, in the new substrate, and will start putting out new shoots soon. I figure in another week or two, I should be able to see some progress one way or the other.

Moving right along, I have added fertilizers to the mix. First, I bought some empty gelatin capsules and some osmocote from the local hardware store. Total cost $9 - this was $4 including shipping for the capsules (300) and $5 for the osmocote (2 lbs). I'm not sure how many capsules I'll be able to make, but I've already made close to 50 and haven't really used much more than about 10-15% of the osmocote. Given that I could buy 5 capsules for $1.20, I'd say that what I've already made has paid for itself, not including the shipping costs involved.

The osmocote capsules are an alternative to root tabs. They claim to last 3-4 months in a garden. In a sand substrate, they seem to last longer, I believe because there is less water movement in the sand than there is through soil. As a result, I used a lot more of them at a time than I would regular root tabs. The osmocote is a slow release fertilizer 'ball' that allows water to slowly leach into it (by osmosis - hence the name) and to carry out the other nutrients through the outer membrane. It takes a little while after all the nutrients are depleted for the membrane itself to fully dissolve. The gelatin capsules dissolve much faster than that and are there merely for 'delivery' purposes. Each of the amazon swords got 2 osmocote capsules, and each crypt also received an osmocote capsule. A few others were placed around the other stem plants, just in case they are looking for a bit of a boost.

I also have started fertilizing the water column as well. I will be giving a weekly dose of Flourish to boost the trace minerals, and another powder of the macro ferts. The light was a bit too focused on the middle of the tank, and the back of the tank seemed a bit darker than I had anticipated (the tank in about 12 inches wide, but the light really doesn't reach everywhere from the LEDs. So, I added my old fluorescent light back, with an updated bulb. I bought the Floramax light (which is stronger in the reds) for the plants. Its not as bright as the old daylight bulb that I had been using (which was old and needed to be replaced anyway), and I would not recommend the floramax as a lone bulb, as its just a bit dim for my taste, but as a second bulb, it works very well and doesn't seem to add a ton of excess light. The fish seem to be unaffected by its presence.

Now for the big news... NEW FISH!
So, after having a long time of soul searching and trying to figure out what would make my wife most happy with the tank (being that it is currently in the living room) I decided to forego any 'biotope' type of tank, and just go for a tank with an assortment of colors, sizes and temperaments.

NEW FISH: First, a PAIR of pearl gouramis. A lot of places sell the pearls too small to be sexed, and so this can be a difficult thing to accomplish. I found a store about 45 minutes south of me that sold pearls - full grown. Lovely specimens. I had about 12-15 different gouramis to choose from. I got the most colorful of the males and a similarly sized female. They are together most of the time. They tend to hide back a bit behind the large log, but they do venture out from time to time to take in the sights of the tank. I think as the plants grow in more, and they become more used to the rest of their tankmates, they will be more active and visible. For now though, I am keeping a close eye on them.

Next, the neons didn't make it. So, that left me with a bit of a quandry... what to do? Go for more neons or more in a different direction. I moved in a different direction.

Livebearers! Yup. Back to my roots as a fishkeeper. I've added to my two male platys, a red mickey mouse platy. +1 from the wife on that one as we are big Disney people.
smile.png
Next, my favorite livebearers are, and will probably always be... mollies. So, I went with one male black molly (schenops) and one male silver lyretail (latipinna or velifera - not sure which they are actually). Then I added a male dalmation molly and creamsicle molly. The silver molly was so busy getting after the dalmation that I feared it was actually a female, and so I bought 4 females (2 silvers and 2 dalmations). So, fry are in my future... but that's where the pearl and other mollies come in.

And finally 4 male fancy guppies. 1 blue tuxedo, and a few others... red and red/yellow, etc.

So, the current stock is:
1 BN pleco
2 pearl gourami
8 mollies
4 guppies
3 platys
1 bolivian ram
*1 cherry barb
*1 HY511 (candy cane) tetra

And that will pretty much finish my stocking, though I think that I will be adding a group of orange laser cories, once I get those details worked out - and then that WILL finish my stock for this tank. It has the most important factor for my wife to be happy with it though... Colors and movement.

The barb and HY511 tetra will be heading to my school tank once school goes back in session.

I'm so jealous if you get Orange laser cories!! I just saw some in a shop for the first time this weekend, and they wanted $45 a piece!! Things are looking great though, love the black substrate!!

(I'm humbled that you slogged your way through that wall of text!)

There are some sources that offer the orange lasers for far less than $45 a piece.  Wetspot has them for roughly $10, but the shipping costs on that make it really expensive.  I've seen a few other sources, but once again, the cost of shipping on top of the price for the fish just makes it undoable.  Where are you located?  I might be able to help you find some closer sources, if you are willing to make the journey.

I found a guy about an hour and a half from me, and he seems to be willing to meet me at his local post office... so I can save the money of the shipping (and the worry about them in the heat of summer being shipped).  He just emailed me back... and it looks like our schedules are working out to be able to meet this Saturday... so prepare to be jealous!  :p

I am thinking of rigging something up to be able to put some floating plants on the one side of the tank to give the gouramis a bit more cover where they will feel more comfortable, and yet be more visible to us!  The plants just aren't growing nearly fast enough for me!!! :lol:

Pearls are much more visible today... which marks their 7th day in the new tank.  :good:

Side note:  the tannins are starting to build up, which is a possible reason as well, as the water isn't as brightly lit as it was when the tank was first set-up.  I am considering using carbon in the filter to deal with that, which will either force them back to hiding or not.  

Water change complete - less tannins and the pearls continue to be more visible, just not when I am around the tank!  
sneaky2.gif

Anyway, I did manage to snap a few pictures... two of them actually are worth seeing, but I'll post some of the others so that folks can laugh at my inability to take pictures.

Orange laser cories on mopani - working the cervices for some tasty morsels:

Bonus cory: (came with the 7 orange lasers... not sure what specie this is yet.)

Best pic of pearl I have at this point:

That was zooming in... he was hiding.

Another shot of the pearl... way in the back.  Not a great pic, I know.
[

Ghost shrimp:

Best shot I have of the orange lasers - here's one that's actually in focus... sort of.

And my best pic of the lot, maybe of all time!
[url=https://flic.kr/p/wYG71T]
My son calls him 'Scar' because of the black line over the eyes.

That cory looks like it might be a Julii cory? Lovely tank and fish btw.
yes.gif

Ugh so jealous!! I'm in western pa, but I think my tank is fully stocked, unfortunately. But I just got a coupon from my lfs...hmmmm...cory only tank?!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back