55Gal almost cycled (first time fishless)!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Missy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm almost ready for fish and I don't have a clue what to stock in this tank?

Here's what I've decided on so far:
3 Angelfish
1 Pleco (going to be moved from existing tank)
4 or 5 Corydoras Cats
2 or 3 Kuhlii loaches
1 snail ("Dave" being moved from existing tank)

From there... I'm stumped: I can think of many that would look nice and be compatible but the tank is 55 gal not 1000... My eyes are too big for my tank :)

Here's a few I was thinking of:
Albino Cherry Barbs
Keyhole or Kribensis Cichlids
Glassfish
Swordtails
Dwarf Gouramis
Harlequin Rasboras

Any suggestions are welcomed. I would like to have a complete list of the fish I am going to add before my trip to the store or else :*) I'll come home with too many or to big fish.

Thanks in Advance... :nod: :nod:

Hi Missy,

Well, I think Dwarf Gouramis, Swordtails and Harlequin Rasboras would be great additions to the tank you have decided on, and maybe you could also get some zebra or leopard danios they are very active, cool little fish. And are quite cheap, about 70 cents to a dollar. If you get 2 Dwarf Gouramis (any gender), 3 or 4 Swordtails (any gender) and 3 or 4 Rasboras. (any gender) You could probably add 3 or 4 more little fish such as the cherry barbs you wanted or maybe 1 or 2 bigger fish such as 2 kribs (kribensis). Then your tank would be stocked. HTH :thumbs:

What you put in your tank depends on who is watching I find. Small ineresting fish are popular at my house. The Danois are very nice. Also consider shrimp. They are good at eating what the rest don't go for and are fun to watch.

Missy said:
I'm almost ready for fish and I don't have a clue what to stock in this tank?

Here's what I've decided on so far:
3 Angelfish
1 Pleco (going to be moved from existing tank)
4 or 5 Corydoras Cats
2 or 3 Kuhlii loaches
1 snail ("Dave" being moved from existing tank)

From there... I'm stumped: I can think of many that would look nice and be compatible but the tank is 55 gal not 1000... My eyes are too big for my tank :)

Here's a few I was thinking of:
Albino Cherry Barbs
Keyhole or Kribensis Cichlids
Glassfish
Swordtails
Dwarf Gouramis
Harlequin Rasboras

Any suggestions are welcomed. I would like to have a complete list of the fish I am going to add before my trip to the store or else :*) I'll come home with too many or to big fish.

Thanks in Advance... :nod: :nod:
I would add a dwarf flame gourami. They bring a splash of orange color to the tank. Gotta love them angels. Since its the season of giving Ill give you 3 of my baby koi angels. Just pay the 20 for the shipping.

Well, I guess it depends on what you like. Sort of like telling someone how to decorate a room :).

Personally, I would think of the following things:

Looks like you've got a solid cleanup crew, but you might want to consider algae. I've never had intentional snails :lol:, but one snail for 55g seems like it might not cut it. Personally, I like my otos a lot. They seem to shrug off the rest of the tank, and do their own thing.

I think a school would be good, aesthetically. I see you have cherry barbs and harlequins listed, I'd think either of those would work well.

Call me silly, but I like platys for colorful "mid-fish".

For what it's worth, here's the stock list for my 46 gallon bowfront, which is a little light at the moment:

top:
2 angels (one black, one silver)
1 dwarf gourami

mid:
2 orange platys (one Micky mouse, one ... tuxedo?)
2 yellow platys (twinbar)
5 neon tetras

bottom:
3 spotted cories
3 otos

Hi Missy :)

You might want to rethink putting gouramis in a tank with angels. They are both lovely fish, but all too often I hear about the angels attacking gouramis. :eek:

The barbs and the glass fish are a big mistake. Never put any barb with angelfish. Barbs are aggressive fin nipers and in time may kill your angles. I made the mistake of adding a cherry barb (the man at the lfs said he was peaceful) and i wound up losing 1 of 3 angels. The glass fish are a mistake to. They are what is called fake fish. They have been died with coloring and most wont live very long. I may be wrong about the glass fish but im pretty sure that i am right. Correct me if i am wrong. Inchworm, i have 2 angels and a dwarf gourami in my 29. There is alot of fighting but the dwarf fights back and defends his territory. As long as there are alot of decorations and plenty of space as there should be in a 55 they should be fine together but yes angles and dwarf gouramis are both aggressive twords each other.

OscarCichlid said:
... The glass fish are a mistake to. They are what is called fake fish. They have been died with coloring and most wont live very long. I may be wrong about the glass fish but im pretty sure that i am right. Correct me if i am wrong
Glass fish are one of the fish that are sold as "painted." But, I have also seen them sold normally. They're nice enough fish the way nature intended.

Of course, if you want a transparent fish, IMHO, nothing is better than a small school of glass catfish:

http://www.animalnetwork.com/aquafish/prof...sp?RecordNo=474

I have normal glassfish (not painted) and they are very graceful and pretty. Never buy painted glassfish.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm sure I'll be posting again about this before I decide for sure.

Knucklehead, what a nice offer :) ;) . I hadn't heard of koi angelfish until you mentioned them. I looked at a few pictures just now and they appear to have markings similar to goldfish, with orange I mean, is that what they all look like? Do you have pictures of yours. Also, (I will look on my own too but) do they get the same size?

Missy said:
Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm sure I'll be posting again about this before I decide for sure.

Knucklehead, what a nice offer :) ;) . I hadn't heard of koi angelfish until you mentioned them. I looked at a few pictures just now and they appear to have markings similar to goldfish, with orange I mean, is that what they all look like? Do you have pictures of yours. Also, (I will look on my own too but) do they get the same size?
Koi angels get the same size as any other angel. The name koi comes from the color variant commonly seen in japanese carp. The orange coloration and black marbling vary from fish to fish. Some people breed to increase the orange wich I think is way too much. Ill post a pic in the photo section for ya.

Thanks guys for correcting me. I have only seen painted glass fish in my LFS so i was unsure. I dont want anyone to get the wrong information.

Most reactions

Back