55 gallon tank mates!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cowgirluntamed

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey guys! It's been a while since I've posted. Some things have changed. I'm just trying to do a little research because I'm having issues with my 55 gallon.

I have a bunch of glowlight tetras, a blue 3 spot gourami, a Male super red bristlenose, and 3 peppered cories.

Water parameters last I checked....8.2 ph and around 13 kh and 11-12 gh. I know...hard water for tetras but I was hoping they would do better. But they just seem to be dying off one by one. Maybe its because I got them from Petsmart? They were all quarantined for 4 weeks before putting in the main tank though.

Basically, they go nose up and dont seem to have control of being able to hover in the water. They are like that for a while and then just die. (Mostly seem to eat as well from what I can see). I'm assuming it's some sort of swim bladder issue, maybe from the harder water.

(As for the peppered cories, I'm not adding any more. They seemed to die off on me as well and I think it was due to territorial issues from my bristlenose. Right now everybody is happy.)

Anyway.....I absolutely want to keep my gourami and the bristlenose. Is there any fish that might do better with harder water as well as be safe tankmates with these two? My gourami seems pretty peaceful with the tetras. But I wasn't sure if any other tetra would work or if I should go to a livebearer type? (I like pristella tetras and black phantom tetras).

Anyway, none of this will be changed out for a while. I took the black neons and harlequin rasboras out of my 20 gallon and was planning on a guppy tank with my panda cories. Well, the guppies are still in quarantine mostly because I'm growing out baby pandas! I'm excited about that at least. Lol. I have lost a couple female guppies(from petsmart, one today actually. I'm wondering if they are dying giving birth cuz they seem fine otherwise. Hopefully that's just pet store quality....)

Sorry for the long rant! Thanks for any help guys! I love my glowlights, I wish they could do better. I'm just not sure which way to turn after a while.

Yes, Zebra danios, and maybe some Harlequin Rasboros, would do nicely in a 55 gal. (Just make sure both are in groups of 6 or more.), ZD are very hardy fish, and so are HR (I have never kept Hr, before, but my good friend has, he said they where just as hardy as ZD’s!). I hope this helped. :)

Yes, Zebra danios, and maybe some Harlequin Rasboros, would do nicely in a 55 gal. (Just make sure both are in groups of 6 or more.), ZD are very hardy fish, and so are HR (I have never kept Hr, before, but my good friend has, he said they where just as hardy as ZD’s!). I hope this helped. :)

I'm looking for something to go with the gourami....I'm pretty sure zebra danios aren't it! Way too boisterous. I actually tried harlequins before....now, I'm not sure that the gourami was bothered by them, but the glowlights didn't like them at all and hid in one part of the tank. Those may be an option....but I'm hesitant because they were a bit boisterous for me too.

Makes sense, I would suggest getting maybe some loaches? I don't really know, @Colin_T , and @Byron , might be better suited in this field. I hope you get some tank mates soon! :)

Well it won't exactly be soon. Gotta let my panda cories grow more before putting the guppies in that tank. Then I don't have to buy more of them! Then I will almost have a free quarantine. I will have to let any baby guppies grow after I get the adults out! Lol.

Most reactions

trending

Back