55 Gallon Puffer Tank?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

nikkifro8994

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am getting a 55 gallon tank soon. The 55 that I'm looking at is 48" long x 12" back x 20" task. That is about 122 x 30 x 50 centimeters. Could I have Figure 8 puffers or green spotted puffers? How many could I have? It would be densely planted. What could I have as far as tank mates? If you could put a model stocking list, that would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Nikki

Both of those species are brackish and don't last long in pure freshwater. They are also not suitable for communities.

Both of those species are brackish and don't last long in pure freshwater. They are also not suitable for communities.

I can make the tank brackish. How much salt would I need to add to get the right salinity? How many of each coups I get if my tank is very densely planted?

I can make the tank brackish. How much salt would I need to add to get the right salinity? How many of each coups I get if my tank is very densely planted?
Figure eight puffers are lowed brackish so nothing more than 1.005 salinity wise, or so Ive read. Plant wise, hardy plants like java fern, java moss, and vals are successful plants that Ive read that work great with tanks that require some salt..

Greend spotted puffers require stronger brackish water and eventually complete saltwater when adults....so obviously no plants here unless macro algae when its converted to pure saltwater.

What about some freshwater puffer species?

If you're going all brackish, you could get eihter some mollies, maybe a ruby scat, mono sebae or mono argentus, dragon goby, and some freshwater flounders :good:

But you'd have to do more research, as I'm not too familiar to the exact specifications and temperment of these fish :huh:

I talked to my science teacher today. He has 7 saltwater tanks at school and 1 salt and 1 brackish at home. I've decided that I don't have the time or energy to keep up with a brackish or salt tank. I think I'll stick with fresh for a little while longer. That way I have more experience. I'm still forgetting to do water changes every week. Normally it's every 2 weeks. And I forget to test the water a lot too.

I talked to my science teacher today. He has 7 saltwater tanks at school and 1 salt and 1 brackish at home. I've decided that I don't have the time or energy to keep up with a brackish or salt tank. I think I'll stick with fresh for a little while longer. That way I have more experience. I'm still forgetting to do water changes every week. Normally it's every 2 weeks. And I forget to test the water a lot too.

There still are freshwater species of puffers....if you were still interested in puffers look into them.

Yup, there are some really nice freshwater Puffers. Red Eyed Puffers look good :good:

How many south Americans can I have?

I would like to say a group of 5 or so....but i have not had any experience with them, only researched them a tad bit...im sure someone who has had experience with them will comment soon

Most reactions

Back