55 Gallon Oscar And Eel Tank

Ficious

Fish Addict
Joined
Jun 25, 2008
Messages
947
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Des Moines, IA
So I'm thnking about buying a 55 gallon to house my starry night eel, raphael cat, and some sort of large cichlid. The eel stays burried or hidden most of the time so I'm wondering how many cichlids can I fit in here...large or medium species. Also some recomendations on species. I thought oscars would be good as they are one of my favorites but dnt know how many I can have with the eel and cat. My eel is 9 inches and the cat is about 3
 
I agree Oscars are too large for a 55G and may have a go at eating the eel, depending on what species it is?
do you have a scientific name?

I would go for something like a Jack Dempsey or Green Terror
or you could go for around 2-3 smaller cichlids that max out at around 5-7inches
 
Yea I was thnkn about gts and jds but I don't know much about them..idk the scientific name of the eel but its in the spiny eel catagory. Green terrors don't get too big do they? How mant could I have? What about firemouths or texas cichlids
 
Firemouths should be ok, however I warn on the Texas cichlids, you could have one and just one in the 55g and assuming you get him/her from small (which is normal from the LFS) you might get away with them not beating up the eel and raphael.

Texas' are mean, however, saying that, mine is a little prince, just reaching the 8" mark and still a pussycat, his best friend is a BGK, so I guess it depends on the personality of the fish, mind you when smaller he took offence to an Oscar and beat the poop outta him.

If you want to go with a GT then again I would suggest only one, maybe try a blue acara with it, both from young.
 
Yea I was thnkn about gts and jds but I don't know much about them..idk the scientific name of the eel but its in the spiny eel catagory. Green terrors don't get too big do they? How mant could I have? What about firemouths or texas cichlids

You could have 1 of either: Gt, JD, Severum or possibly Uaru,
or a small group of 2-3 Geo's or 2-3 of the following, Rainbow Cichlids, Firemouth, Convict, Sajica, Keyhole, Blue Acara, Festivum
 

Most reactions

Back
Top