50g Lake Tanganyika Shell Dweller Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I think I'll probably go with a black mixed with a subtle dark green like these:
f993f6390e11eab12fd8d088bfa37ba4.png
07d6214f1dcddde7089fc93a45223172.png

I think it'll look better and it's very possible that I might ruin the effect of a blue background (and the tank) if I try one so I'm not going to yet

should I be worried about too much pressure on the bottom pane of glass if I nearly fully cover the bottom of the tank with large river stones on top of a thick layer of sand
the side pane thickness is 1/4 inch and it's untempered glass, I expect that the bottom pane is thicker, but I can't tell or measure it

I’m working on your concerns 👆 and will post when I know. I share the same concern
your tank will be more than fine, but the reason I'm worried with mine is because it's designed to grow coral and it has the same footprint as a much bigger tank but with thinner, untempered glass
@Colin_T do you know? there isn't much info about this online

should I be worried about too much pressure on the bottom pane of glass if I nearly fully cover the bottom of the tank with large river stones on top of a thick layer of sand
the side pane thickness is 1/4 inch and it's untempered glass, I expect that the bottom pane is thicker, but I can't tell or measure it
Many people put a layer of styrofoam down under the sand. I went to Lowe’s and for $10 got a pack of 6x 48x12 inch sheets of 3/4 thick styrofoam

Many people put a layer of styrofoam down under the sand. I went to Lowe’s and for $10 got a pack of 6x 48x12 inch sheets of 3/4 thick styrofoam
exactly. But needs to be precisely cut to fit glass underside, not the frame, as I’m understanding it now. I’m going for a 4 x 8 ft panel of insulation

wait! Did you mean to say under the sand vs under the glass?

I tried to put 1/4" and 48x24 into a "glass load calculator" and it said it can support 130 pounds, I don't know if that's accurate
but it can't be because I've seen people online putting at least twice that amount of pounds of substrate in one, not to mention the water

your tank would make a great entry for TOTM when it's established. Also you could enter one of your shell dwellers in FOTM.

wait! Did you mean to say under the sand vs under the glass?
Isn’t the issue that @realzalio is afraid the weight of the rocks will crack the thinner glass? I may be misunderstanding lol. A sheet of styrofoam under the rocks spreads out the weight and relieves any pressure points, reducing the risk of cracks.

@realzalio am I understanding the issue?

Isn’t the issue that @realzalio is afraid the weight of the rocks will crack the thinner glass? I may be misunderstanding lol. A sheet of styrofoam under the rocks spreads out the weight and relieves any pressure points, reducing the risk of cracks.

@realzalio am I understanding the issue?
I'm worried about the amount and total weight of rocks being too much for the glass, not single stress points because I plan to fill the entire bottom of the tank with relatively large rocks - a sheet of styrofoam won't fix the (so far) theoretical problem
I say theoretical because I'm not sure if the glass will hold that amount of rocks yet

@realzalio am I understanding the issu

Not sure yet. If you look at the underside of a tank, you should see the glass sits >.3 inches above the metal frame, not flat on the surface I am currently thinking it makes more sense to cut the styrofoam to fit the area under the glass vs placing the entire tank on foam. At least one source agreed with my intuition, but I need to take a closer look.

Whaaaat? That‘s my real bathroom, one of five identical rooms.
But yes, I have abandoned the 125 G tank project in favor of a 2000 G tank like that German guy in a recently posted video here.

to be honest, since I can't get a clear answer to whether it's safe to line the whole bottom with heavy, real rocks, I might opt for an aquadecorbackgrounds custom mat instead
also please don't start using my journal as a random discussion thread ;)

Great news! I just spoke to a technician at Aqueon. They manufacture the 125 G I have on order. I asked about underlayment & he said NONE is required. I said I want to use big rocks for my cichlids. He said: That’s fine! No problem! You can fill that tank up to the top with big rocks if you want.

I suggest you call Zoo Med. I called them once myself on a betta food issue & they were as helpful & nice as this Aqueon man I just spoke to.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back