5 Gallon stocking Questions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Shepvault111

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm not new to the hobby, I've owned fish before but it has been about five years since ive owned fish so I'm getting back into the swing of things. I have a 5 Gallon (L 44cm B 30cm H 15cm) at the moment with plans to upgrade at a later date.

I'm just about to start cycling the tank and have owned Mollies before as well as a Honey gourami, Cory Catfish and such and plan to own them again but as far as am aware, they need far more space than a 5 gal.

I'm not well versed on what species of fish would be suitable for a 5 gal besides betta fish. I had thought about guppies as I'm really interested in owning some guppies, but i just want to make sure that any fish I get would be comfortable in a 5 gal until i can upgrade.

This tank was given to me and I really only intend to use it until I've got the means to upgrade to a bigger tank size.

You could probably fit a few small fish like neon tetras or CPDs, but I think any of those do much better in at least a 10G. Personally, I wouldn't put anything but a betta fish in a 5G. It could be a great shrimp tank too.

You could probably fit a few small fish like neon tetras or CPDs, but I think any of those do much better in at least a 10G. Personally, I wouldn't put anything but a betta fish in a 5G. It could be a great shrimp tank too.
Neon Tetras and CPD's need a minimum tank size of 15 gallons, preferably bigger.

---

@Shepvault111, the only fish I would put in your 5g is a Betta, possibly some shrimp. (Not likely to get along, so don't add both)

The only fish I would keep in a 5g are betta (there are more species than splendens!), asian stone catfish/anchor catfish, or, if you're experienced with planted tanks, a school of microrasboras. Besides that, a 5g can make a really nice tank for shrimp and snails.

The only fish I would keep in a 5g are betta (there are more species than splendens!), asian stone catfish/anchor catfish, or, if you're experienced with planted tanks, a school of microrasboras. Besides that, a 5g can make a really nice tank for shrimp and snails.
I had thought that the tank would be too small for anything but a Betta. I'm going to start looking into Betta care then.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back