48" Nano

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mmmm... the Hornwort in my 18" has put a spurt on and the Java fern is algaed out since switching to LED but hoping things will balance out with shade.

Still early days for the 3 footer and I still really like the overall look/ripple effect in and above it.

Munroco said:
Crypts have mostly melted away, cories are enjoying digging up the pygmy chain swords, the myriophylum has a coating of algae as does the hair grass, things aren't going well plant wise.

You think it is just new tank stuff?? Are you using CO2?? What's your light's output set at??

I wanted to get some Myrio for my tank down the road, but I only have so much room lol

No co2, LED delivers 35w, I reckon taking hardscape into consideration tank holds about 22 gals.

If you can, I would dial back your lighting for awhile to give the plants plenty of time to establish, plus if you have pretty bright lighting without co2, you can definitely get algae that way. I think a lot of the plant matter from plants melting helps to feed algae as well to be honest. In my high tech I am working on, I have my lights set to 50% right now while everything gets going. Then as plants start taking off I will increase it more.

jag51186 said:
If you can, I would dial back your lighting for awhile to give the plants plenty of time to establish, plus if you have pretty bright lighting without co2, you can definitely get algae that way. I think a lot of the plant matter from plants melting helps to feed algae as well to be honest. In my high tech I am working on, I have my lights set to 50% right now while everything gets going. Then as plants start taking off I will increase it more.
How can you set your lights at 50%?

Munroco said:

How can you set your lights at 50%?

You can get a controller for the output, my BuildMyLed.com light has one, but it cost extra. But, I think there are some others.

jag51186 said:

You can get a controller for the output, my BuildMyLed.com light has one, but it cost extra. But, I think there are some others.

Good, I'll look into that

Just did, they have suspended their LED business :(

£20 bundle of plants arrived today, good quality though I'm sure some wont last, especially the red ones. This is a little video showing tank in full light and red night light. I can't get far enough away from the tank to get it all in frame so forgive the shaky panning and out of focus fish.

http://s435.photobucket.com/user/Javalad/media/Project%201.mp4.html

Gudgeons in spawning colours.

Attachments

• female gudgeon.jpg
    female gudgeon.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 121
  • Male Gudgeon.jpg
    Male Gudgeon.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 134
Most of the new plants are doing well including the red ones which I expected to die off quickly. I had a few water lettuce floating but I took them out as they took over the whole surface in about a week. My pygmy chain swords have rooted despite the cories attentions, and the crypts have started sprouting new leaves. The hair grass and myriophillum didn't make it but I'm happy with the rest.

As for the cyanobacteria, its still there but doesn't seem to be spreading so fast. I'm using an airline tube to siphon what I can see off of the plants and so far that seems to be keeping it at bay. Hopefully I'll get to the stage where the plants can out compete it for the light and nutrients. I realise after reading Byron's post that I caused this problem by using compost under the sand but with the plants thriving hopefully I'm over the worst.

I bought 20 tiny ember tetras, really pleased with them as they look great amongst the plants, and also bought 6 corydora Julii.

Most reactions

trending

Back